My name is Julia Rehmann, and I am going into my fourth year at the University of Oregon. When I’m not in a classroom, you can most definitely find me wandering somewhere out in the woods. My friends and I love taking backpacking trips all over the Pacific Northwest, and my favorite destination is by far Silver Star Mountain.

Headshot of Franny Gaede

An unassuming hike on paper, Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista reads as a short, 3.1-mile hike to the summit. Hidden in its description lies the kicker, though: 2,100 feet of elevation gain. As soon as you hit the trail, the steep grade begins. At times, it’s a mellow uphill walk, but some miles are almost like walking up a flight of stairs. That – mixed with the sleek rocks that shift a foot downhill each step you take and a 50-lb backpack strapped to your shoulders – makes for a challenging climb. But it is oh so worth it.

Brown, fluffy cat sleeping on a cat bed

I remember the first time I rounded the final switchback and came out on the bare peak of the mountain. I was speechless (and not just from the exhausting hike). A 360-degree view of Oregon and Washington splayed out before my eyes. The great mountains of the PNW dotted the landscape. My crew and I tried to name them all: Rainier, Hood, Jefferson, Helens, Adams – and even a faint glimpse of Sisters in the distance. In this moment, with my friends surrounding me, I fell in love with Silver Star.

Flowers, in shadow

Now, I return at least once every summer. It’s my favorite place to bring new friends and hikers and to share a s’more by the fire or a game of Yahtzee before the sun sets. Silver Star feels like home. Its windy summit sings me to sleep; its dark skies dotted with the brightest stars inspire me; its challenging route is a reminder that good things are worth a little effort.

If anyone’s looking for a summer adventure let me know! I’m always eager to take a quick one-nighter!