EXPLOREGON TEAM BIO’S

CANDANCE (TIANXIN) KU

Program Director

Candance graduated from SIT Graduate Institute with a Masters in International Education and Washington University in Saint Louis with double Bachelors in Biology and Religious Studies. She previously worked at a residential, intensive English-language preparation school in Massachusetts. She has experience as an advisor and educator for international students both abroad and domestically. Candance has lived in China, St Louis, Texas, Vermont, and Massachusetts. In addition to advising international students one-on-one at UO, Candance also works on the social integration program, ExplOregon, and will serve as the ISSS liaison to the UO’s Health Center.

BRIAN HERNANDEZ

Program Coordinator

My name is Brian Hernandez and I was born and raised in Salem, OR. I am a fourth year student majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. During my free time I enjoy spending time outdoors, hiking, traveling, shooting film photography, finding new music to listen to or just hanging out with friends. I worked as a trip leader for the 2016-2017 school year and I am excited to continue working for the ExplOregon program as a coordinator this year! I am passionate about helping others and hope to pursue a career in Occupational Therapy.

ETHAN KIZZIAR

Trip Leader

My name is Ethan Kizziar and I am from Portland, Oregon. I am currently majoring in Human Physiology and minoring in Spanish, which will hopefully help me get into physical therapy school in the future! My ideal weekend would be spent at Mt. Hood skiing or camping. I am a huge basketball fan as well, so feel free to talk sports with me anytime. I am also a big fan of good food (my favorite American holiday is Thanksgiving) and pride myself on being willing to try all types of strange and delicious dishes. Cannot wait to experience all of the upcoming ExplOregon adventures for the 2017-2018 year with you all!

MILES STEELE

Trip Leader

My name is Miles Steele and I was born and raised in Orange County, CA. My major is Environmental Science. During my free time I enjoy going out to eat, hiking, playing soccer, listening to music, hanging out with friends or meeting new people. I am passionate about the environment, international affairs, and ethics and hope to pursue a career in Environmental Technology.

JOSE AMESQUITA

Trip Leader

Hello! My name is Jose Amesquita and I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona. I am currently majoring in Computer Science. Whenever I am not studying for exams I enjoy watching the TV Show Big Brother, listening to The Weeknd, and hanging out with my friends. I am passionate about challenges. Challenging myself on a macro or micro level can help explore my strengths and weaknesses. My career ambition is to become a software developer. A fun fact about me is that I have a twin sister named Alexis.