Syllabus and Schedule

Hello!

Here is the Syllabus 2.0

In adapting a syllabus and schedule to a intensive four-week summer seminar, I have agonized long hours trying to figure out best particular sequence of topics, questions, workshops, provocations, and readings. One of the toughest parts of doing this is deciding what readings are best without really knowing who’s “in the room” before the class starts. As a result, you’ll find the schedule below to only delineate the first two weeks of readings and topics in detail, and only gives the general gist of the latter two weeks. The final two weeks are intentionally sparse, as I want to observe and discuss the group’s interests and needs before locking in and preparing additional topics. I also want to get a sense for the kinds of “provocations” different partners will take up so that I give you the space you need to bring in something new. The final schedule will be set by the end of week one.

Here is the 410 Schedule

NOTE: the due-dates for assignments are set for the whole term, not just the first two weeks.

Note that we read John Storey’s “What is Popular Culture,” but if you want a more historical overview of the subject, check out Marcel Danesi’s “What is Popular Culture?” PopCulture

Need more? Well go watch the video for Beyonce’s “Formation” or go watch Wall-E. Watch, read, dance, or listen to whatever you want– and start thinking about how “nature” shows up in this bit of “culture.”

beyonce-formation

“What happened after New Orleans?”
Sturgeon
Noel Sturgeon’s book will be a keystone text in our course. My copy is dog eared and covered in the multi-colored ink of notes from different times I’ve read and re-read this great text!