Taking a Day Off with Ferris

Single handedly the greatest movie ever created, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Yes, I know it is not within the date range of 1990 and before but most of the items that we have talked about in class relate to this movie. For those that haven’t seen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, it is the journey of one kid skipping class to enjoy a day with his friends. Even though the film was made before all of us were born, it is still relatable to our lives because we all want to just take a day off of class, take our friend’s dad’s 1961 Ferrari GT California out for a spin in downtown Chicago. Yes, some shenanigans might occur like the valet taking the car for a cruise, attending a Cubs game, pretending to be the Sausage King of Chicago, and racing to beat your parents and your sister home. Be honest, everyone has skipped a class at least once, whether your parents knew it or not, and we may not have done the things in the movie but maybe we did similar things. Faked a sickness to stay home and play video games, left class and walked around for an hour, or even left for school but never arrived. It happens to the best of us. One thing about the movie that is different than most other movies is the fact that the fourth wall is constantly being broken by Matthew Broderick as we routinely interacts and speaks directly to the camera. This is super unique for a movie made in the 1980s when filming techniques were still “traditional” and it was uncommon to see the fourth wall broken often in a movie. There are three instances when Ferris speaks or stares directly into the camera during the film. They. of course, remain humorous and add comedic value to the movie as we don’t expect him to directly look at the camera and speak to the audience that isn’t supposed to be there.

This movie is a timeless classic that can be viewed by many different generations and it will still be relevant. The humor of the movie is exquisite and keeps you rolling throughout the entire movie. An instant cult classic that can be played over and over again and won’t get boring, old, or stale. Every line is finely crafted to be humorous and keep you waiting to find out what is going to happen next in the feel good hooky story of the 1900s. The way the characters handle themselves and perfectly pull off a day of skipping school is something that has not been able to be replicated in the last 20 years and I do not believe that there will be another movie that will have this kind of impact on the world as Ferris Bueller’s Day Off had. The quotes that come from this movie are instant classics and understood by most anyone that you would find on the street or in a classroom. Ferris Bueller is the man that I strive to be in life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by aeddie@uoregon.edu. Bookmark the permalink.

About aeddie@uoregon.edu

“Advertising is the most fun a person can have with their clothes on.” – Unknown Andrew Eddie is not a typical person from a small desert town in the desert of Washington State. Yes, there is a desert in Washington and no, it does not just rain all the time as most people think. Being an advertising account executive is the goal and Gateway is the first step on the long road ahead.

14 thoughts on “Taking a Day Off with Ferris

1. I agree with you that this is definitely a must see movie, a time-less classic. I really enjoy the fact that Ferris breaks the fourth wall to talk directly to the audience, it brings a unique aspect to the film that helps set it apart. This movie really resonates with young-teen audiences I think because they are able to relate the joys of skipping school and hiding things from your parents. I really like the character Cameron throughout the movie who brings an extra comedic aspect to the film. The quotes as well, from this movie are as timeless as the movie itself.

2. I also think Ferris Bueller is one of the most timeless films ever made. I think what makes it so timeless is the way it displayed a fantasy of every high school student: skipping school and exploring the world. The “fourth wall” is extremely useful in the film because it provides commentary and justification for the actions of the characters, while also keeping the audience’s attention. I also think Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is influential because of its commentary on the archaic model of education in the US and how it forces students to follow certain paths in life. I recommend this film to everyone and I think it will always be a timeless classic.

3. I, like the comments above me, agree that Ferris Bueller’s Day Off will forever be a cult classic. It is one of the timeless scenarios of a teenager disobeying his parents, skipping school, and getting into trouble. Of course over exaggerated in many places, it has something everyone can relate to. I found your analysis of fourth wall in Ferris’s Day Off to be not only accurate but also very interesting. Before this class I rarely watched movies and analyzed them simultaneously but now that I have I notice much more often the use of the fourth wall throughout film. I think the director’s choice to implement that in Ferris Bueller was a smart choice, it allowed the viewer to feel as if they were the one skipping school and being reckless. Also as you stated above the few times he does break the fourth wall, he does so in a way that add something to the film!

4. There are few other movies that can stand the test of time quite like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I totally agree that it is because the humor is so relatable. The subject of the fourth wall is interesting to think about because this is one of the few humorous films where it occurs. Especially with the films that we’ve watched in class, they all seem to be fairly morose and dark. It seems to come with the territory of the fourth wall because that idea is innately existential. All the films we have watched have been kind of negative, so it is cool to have seen this comedy done so successfully. It does give me a newfound respect for this film because it is so difficult to be both existential and humorous.

5. You’re right, Ferris Bueller’s Day off will forever be one of the greatest films of all time. In addition to how relatable the film’s plot is, it’s excessive use of humor and suspense make the movie that much more enjoyable. I think that you’re interpretation of what makes this film stand out amongst others of it’s kind is accurate — I haven’t seen this movie in years but I still remember the scene of Ferris in the shower talking directly to the audience/camera. Breaking the fourth wall multiple times throughout the film really gave this movie a unique edge that a lot of others do not have. This, in addition to numerous other formal and narrative aspects of the film, make it an awesome movie.

6. Very great post.
    I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have truly loved browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing on your feed and I hope you write again very soon!
    Feel free to visit my website ✅

온라인 카지노 게임
    스포츠 토토 일정
    토토 라이브 스코어
    온라인 카지노 사이트
    안전 카지노 사이트
    https://www.j9korea.com