Koyaanisqati: Essential to Understanding Technology’s Domination of Humanity

Koyaanisqatsi. 1982. Coppola. Reggio.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/?ref_=nv_sr_3

If you don’t know how enmeshed technology has become in human existence and culture, then you probably haven’t been alive in the past hundred years. Even if you live in the middle of the Jungle, you can find an episode of Seinfeld being played. In the poorest cities of the poorest nations, the constant endeavor is for ever increasing levels of technology. Whoever has the tractor dominates those who plow with their hands. Whoever has a gun dominates those with only their fists…

If somehow you still haven’t realized this, or you just need a little reminder, watch Koyaanisqatsi. Even though it was made in the early 80s, this film produced by Francis Ford Coppola and directed by George Reggio is timeless in seeking to “wake up” humanity to what its really getting into by incorporating technology into all aspects of our lives, which it greatly achieves by the end of your 86 minute journey.

Koyaanisqatsi (Reggio) is a film made in 1982 in the form of Soviet-Montage editing, which allows that it not only evokes the emotional agitation inherent it this editing style, but also effectively conveys the chaos that has come with the introduction of technology to the human culture and the non-human environment.

Similarly, the comparison between Koyaanisqatsi and Soviet Montage editing is congruent with the comparison-type editing between seemingly unrelated things. For example, the consistent comparisons between technology’s domination of the environment rendering the environment as a technological organism, much like what has become of humanity throughout the film.

Ultimately, if you want or need a reminder of how enmeshed we all are in technology, and technology is in us (not only in our individuals, but our communities and entire societies). Koyaanisqatsi does an incredibly effective job of opening the viewers eyes to these issues, which places it in a combination between Soviet-Montage-style editing, city symphonies (in the form of “technological-city transformation” cities), and the documentary style of opening the viewers mind to something we might not normally acknowledge. You must see this movie if you the essential comprehension technology’s domination of humanity and nature.

5 thoughts on “Koyaanisqati: Essential to Understanding Technology’s Domination of Humanity

1. Great post – really like the connection between Koyaanisqatsi and montage editing. Your argument for this film’s importance—how it serves as a “wake up” call about humans’ destructive relationship with technology—raises some interesting questions about film form. The film got some great reviews, but I think it’s safe to say that it hasn’t been widely seen, partly because it doesn’t follow a conventional narrative structure.

Sergei Eisenstein argued that, for montage to work effectively as a tool for educating the masses, it had to be used in the service of a clear narrative – he felt that Dziga Vertov’s films were too abstract and off-putting. Vertov, on the other hand, was so deeply committed to a set of aesthetic principles that he felt would provoke new ways of thinking that it didn’t matter much to him that his films were perceived as difficult.

What do you think a non-narrative film like Koyaanisqatsi offers that a more conventional environmentalist narrative (like, say, An Inconvenient Truth) doesn’t? As someone who is invested in both experimental narratives and environmental politics, I feel like I’m constantly struggling with my answer to this question . . .

2. Very great post.
    I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have truly loved browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing on your feed and I hope you write again very soon!
    Feel free to visit my website ✅

온라인 카지노 게임
    스포츠 토토 일정
    토토 라이브 스코어
    온라인 카지노 사이트
    안전 카지노 사이트
    https://www.j9korea.com