Empathy in Peeping Tom

The genre of psychological thrillers is not defined easily, however there are certain qualities within it that have come to signify the category. The film Peeping Tom was one of the first psychological thrillers, so it had a grand influence on what we now recognize as a psychological thriller. One of the staples to the category is it’s ability to push the viewer into empathizing with the “bad guy.” We spoke about this in class briefly during a discussion, and the consensus was that there were moments while watching the film when we felt bad for Mark, and that made us feel weird. This reaction is interesting because it heightens the power and ability of the psychological thriller. It moves the viewer to reach a new level of existential involvement because they go from viewing and analyzing the characters in the movie, to analyzing their own psyches.
The main character in this film, Mark, is a murderer. He is obsessed with filming women and then killing them. For this reason, the viewer knows that Mark is a villain in the story. Through the film we find that he was abused as a child, and we learn that it is because of his father that Mark experiences most of his struggles. When the viewer learns this, they start to view Mark as a victim. This juxtaposition of villain and victim begins to dictate how the viewer thinks about Marks character. After we know that Mark is acting this way because he has been trained to act like this, we start to feel for him. We become empathetic for his character because it starts to feel like maybe his emotional condition isn’t his fault. In any regard, we shift from feeling disgusted by his character to understanding his pain.
One scene which illustrates this juxtaposition of villain and victim, and the empathy that follows suit, is when Mark unveils his home movies to his love interest. The viewer sees this woman shift from fear to sorrow in a matter of seconds. This visual representation of empathy cues the viewer to embrace a similar feeling. From fear of the killer, to feeling sorry for his pain, there is an obvious shift that occurs and it is palpable to the viewer. This transition pushes the viewer to engage in a level of personal reflection and begin to ask themselves “is right to feel bad for the bad guy?” This confusion of what is “right” becomes a defining trait for this psychological thriller and for others that follow suit. There is a level of guilt that comes with feeling bad for a killer and that invites an internal reflection for the viewer.
Another scene that pulls the viewer into confusion about their empathy for Mark is in the final scene. Again the viewer knows that Mark is set up as the bad guy in this scene, but again they start to feel bad for him because he is also portrayed as a victim. In this particular scene, he is painted as a victim by his involvement with the police and by revealing that he is suicidal. As the viewer watches this scene, they start to feel uncomfortable by their inclination and desire to feel badly for a murderer.
The empathy that the viewer feels for the murderer is one of the first examples of how psychological thrillers can truly engage their audience. Peeping Tom is one of the first films to push its viewers to feel uncomfortable about their own mindset or psyche. This level of discomfort is now a staple for the category of psychological thrillers. Through the use of empathy, the user is almost forced to evaluate their own and emotions as well as those of the characters on the screen. This moves psychological thrillers to become even more engaging and introspective.

5 thoughts on “Empathy in Peeping Tom

1. I completely agree when you say that in the beginning we see Mark as a heartless killer that is a psychopath that does not care about anything but his camera and killing women. As the story develops however, we see that Mark actually is a victim due to what his father subjected him to when he was a kid. Like yourself, this caused me to start to feel sympathy for the killer and kept me engaged throughout the film, wondering what was going to happen to Mark next. We begin to wonder why Mark kills himself in the final scene of the film and swell up with emotion because we know that it was not Mark’s fault that he killed the women that he did.

2. To add onto the previous comment since I accidentally hit post, your comments about when Mark was showing Helen his movies and the emotion shifts from fear to sorrow helped me to feel for Mark and realize that he is not some cold blooded killer but someone that was raised in a way that affected him for the rest of his life. Mark has no control over his actions against women and is subject to the life that he lives. The audience feels for the killer unlike any other horror movie out there.

3. In my blog post I wrote about the different points of view people have on situations and the way that affects how people perceive situations and people, which is similar to what you’re saying here. We feel weird for empathizing with Mark since he is the one killing these women, but yet for many of us we can’t help but do so. After discovering about his past and the torment he went through as a child it’s hard to not see Mark and his actions in a different light. The way you feel about Mark though I believe depends a lot on your point of view of what he’s done compared to what has been done to him. Your post does a good job of analyzing why the view is likely to empathize with Mark and even though we don’t necessarily want to we end up feeling a little sorry for him.

4. I have to agree with you in a sense you have to feel some remorse for Mark. Like you said, at one moment he is this killer, and then another moment he is this sweet man who loves to film. I also feel sorry for Mark because I believe that his father put him on this path with all the trauma he faced during his childhood.

5. While surfing the web, this blog has been led.
    There are many very fresh posts. Enough to get my attention. I’ll come to check often.

토토 핸드
    카지노 사이트 추천
    사설 토토 사이트
    스포츠 토토 배당률
    스포츠 토토 승부 식
    https://www.j9korea.com