Calculated Struggle

Peeping Tom was the type of film that left me satisfied and hungry all at once. The main character, Mark Lewis, made me uncomfortable, suspicious, and completely relaxed all at once. The varying stages of emotion were created through Mark being a round character. As discussed in class, there was a lot of development and change in the character as the film progressed. The most relevant scene to look into Mark’s drastic change in persona was during the time spent with Helen, the female from downstairs. During the scene where she discusses the possibilities of her book and needing his help is where I found the most impactful setting to show Mark’s true dispositions and how he constantly battles his own struggle from being tested on by his father to see the psychology behind fear on the nervous system.

Mark acts very genuine and interested whenever Helen is present. He listens to her words in a much more attentive manor than when he is at work or talking to other people; his attention gets restricted very easily when he sees a victim he wishes to be infatuated with. During the scene of Helen sharing the idea of her book, his responsiveness is much more dramatized than he usually responds- in a dull, uninterested, almost insincere way. He quickly gets emotionally disturbed when she shares that the book relates to capturing images with a magical movie camera. His curiosity and interest in Helen quickly brings him back to his calm, involved self. However, that key point where he enters the darker side of his personality was a key moment for my understanding of his character. He is not often shown in such a genuine and interested state, so when the time came that he bounced back to being dark and unclear was a much more drastic switch that any other moment in the movie.

Once Mark regains his heightened stated of interest, Helen is the one who has a large switch in character. She suddenly gets concerned that she has asked too much of him, this is another moment in this film that captures their relationship and how she effects him. When Mark replies about the discussion of money and his payment not being important, he quickly dives into another tunnel of his inner-curiosity. I felt that this moment was a clear flashback of the trauma that he had been put through as a child by his father. The psychological testing left his emotions and interests calculated, so whenever something (Helen) took him to a new state, he did not know how to respond and closed up his shell, similar to a turtle, when things became too much for him to handle.
It was the creativity and ability to twist my feelings towards Mark that made this film resonate with me. There are many round characters that are still do not have enough variation to leave me interested. Mark, on the other hand, was a character that continued to drag my feelings from side to side. Once I thought I had him pinned and clearly decided that I did or did not feel sympathy for him, the film would throw a curve ball allowing him to creep back onto my good side. Marks constant battle of self-interest and experience with Helen continues to interest me, any film that can leave you questioning an opinion on a character weeks after I it… job well done.

5 thoughts on “Calculated Struggle

1. Austin, I appreciate your thoughtful and honest personal response to this film. I especially like your word choice in the first sentence about how Peeping Tom left you “satisfied and hungry all at once.” I think that’s a great way to describe it — I too enjoyed the film but also felt like there would be no shortage of ideas to explore when watching it a second time through. Lastly, I really enjoyed that you included the “turning point” for you about Mark’s character as it really shows your deeper understanding and close interpretation of the film! Great work.

2. Good blog post. I liked your description of the scene which, for you, held the turning point for Mark’s character. One of the great things about this film is the way it owns those complex emotions. In film or fiction we engage in empathy with fictional characters, but that does not entail becoming that character. This empathy for characters has emotional consequences, and can also be seen as separate from sympathy. Through empathy we understand a character’s goals through our model of his or her mind, and feel something similar to what the characters feel, but we do not see ourselves as that character and identify these emotions as our own rather than as the character’s.

3. I really liked your perspective of this film. Personally I was very annoyed by Mark and didn’t really care for him and not just because he was a murder but because I found him to be pretty boring. But I thought you made a good point about how you can feel both relaxed and unrelaxed by Mark. There is a definite struggle the character is going through of trying to be normal and get over the trauma of his childhood but also being a murder. The reason I didn’t really care for Mark was probably because he wasn’t enough of one character. He wasn’t frightening enough for me to be scared of him but he was also too odd for me to sympathize with. But I your insight on the character of Mark made me rethink a few ideas I had about Mark.

4. I really enjoyed reading your post and experiencing your perspective of the film in comparison to mine and others interpretations. The way that you said the film twisted your feelings to resonate with Mark is the same experience I had. This film was extraordinary in being able to change a person’s opinion on a “Serial Killer,” especially because this film is so old.

5. While surfing the web, this blog has been led.
    There are many very fresh posts. Enough to get my attention. I’ll come to check often.

토토 핸드
    카지노 사이트 추천
    사설 토토 사이트
    스포츠 토토 배당률
    스포츠 토토 승부 식
    https://www.j9korea.com