A Close Reading: Don Lockwood

Singin’ in the Rain is one of the most successful musicals ever created in film. It is a beloved classic, released in 1952, during the “Golden Era” of cinema, and directed by Stanley Donen and the ever-talented Gene Kelly, who stars as Don Lockwood in the film.

I believe one of the most important scenes in the film that shapes the entire story is Don Lockwood’s first meeting with Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds). Don Lockwood is a cocky but hugely famous Hollywood silent film star. After Don’s most recent movie release, he and his talented best friend, Cosmo Brown (Donald O’Connor), are leaving the theatre and their vehicle breaks down. As the scene progresses, Lockwood is trying to avoid his fans and ends up jumping into a random vehicle. This is a huge turning point in the movie. Don scares Kathy, but he is in shock that she seems to have no idea who he is until she tries to turn him into a police officer on the side of the road. Even after she is told that he is the great “Don Lockwood” she still seems unimpressed by him and this bothers Don. As a newly relaxed Kathy continues to drive, Don is attracted to her and tries to sweet talk, but Kathy isn’t having it. She insults him, saying that he is not a real actor and that his films are all the same and that she is a real actor because she talks and acts out her emotions on stage. “If you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all right?” Kathy states to an ego-bruised Don Lockwood about his films. Kathy says she’s a stage actress, which starts an argument between herself and Don, and she drops him off at an after party, both of them fuming mad at the other. This develops a relationship between the two, where they both think that they can’t stand each other, but you can see the attraction and confusion between the two. Kathy is trying to save face and make it seem like Don is not as important as he thinks he is because she refuses to be like every other women or fan and fawn over him. Even though he tries to hide it, Don’s ego was badly bruised and he lost a lot of confidence during his argument with Kathy about acting, making him question his abilities as a performer, entertainer, and an actor. This shapes the story because he moves on from this trying to think of ways to regain confidence within his work and it makes him more grounded and brings his head down to earth again. Without knowing it, Kathy has changed Don’s view of himself and that alters his goals on what he really cares about and what he really wants to pursue with his career. Kathy brings out the best in him, and we learn at the end of the film that they both bring out each other’s true talent/calling in the industry. This scene shapes the direction of the rest of the film.

9 thoughts on “A Close Reading: Don Lockwood

1. Really good post. I did a similar reading into Don, but I never really thought about the significance of his first meeting with Kathy. It is interesting to think about how his ego played such a big role in their interaction. I wonder how different the movie would be if he never even brought up that he was a movie star.

2. I really liked your post. It is interesting to think somebody so loved and revered by so many people could be so humbled by the comments of one stranger.

3. I agree that this scene was sort of a plot twist in that it added some confrontation and challenge for Don, but it also led to the romantic portion of the story which is interesting too. It is interesting that this one scene that bares somewhat little significance really is a plot twist. I guess in other, more serious movies, the plot twist is more dramatic and more easily noticeable. But you are right, this scene is definitely what changes the story line.

4. I think this scene is really important also, because it’s the first time we are introduced to Don as a person before and actor. I really like the points you made in your essay but there is one things that I read a little differently. Right after the car ride where they meet for the first time, it seems as though Kathy is angry, but it seems like Don is flirtingly-angry. What I mean is that he seems to be feigning anger rather than actually feeling it. I saw that seen as the initiation of Dons obsession with her, and whatever anger he displayed, he only seemed to do to probe her frustration a little more, for the sake of flirting.

5. I think this is a very astute reading of the scene. You absolutely have to admit upon watching the movie that this scene is a huge turning point for Don. Without Kathy, he may not have evolved into the character that we see at the end of the film. I think it would be super interesting to read more into Kathy’s intentions as well. Why did she insult him so much? Why did she pretend to not know who he was, when later in the film she admits to seeing him in magazines and watching his films? I think she has more motive here than she lets on, and it might be interesting to dig into that.

6. I really liked your post. I thought it did a good job of explaining the relationship between Don and Kathy and how it shapes the story. Do you think that maybe part of Don’s attraction to Kathy has to do with her talent? Almost in the same way Lina is attracted to Don?

7. While surfing the web, this blog has been led.
    There are many very fresh posts. Enough to get my attention. I’ll come to check often.

토토 핸드
    카지노 사이트 추천
    사설 토토 사이트
    스포츠 토토 배당률
    스포츠 토토 승부 식
    https://www.j9korea.com

8. Great web site you have here.. It’s hard to find high-quality writing like yours these days. Thank you for your articles. I find them very helpful. I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!
    Karya Bintang Abadi