Make ‘Em Laugh close read

Singin’ in the Rain is and always will be a great timeless movie. This was my second time seeing the movie and I would honestly say it was better the second time. A great overall film filled with satire and a landmark in movie production techniques and ideology. The things they were able to do in this movie with the technology available to them in the 50’s were surprising. It seems like a movie that could still be in theaters today and a hit nonetheless.  My favorite scene and perhaps one of the most popular from this movie is Cosmo’s song and dance number: “Make ‘Em Laugh”. Cosmo is the character responsible for most of the comedy within this film and this number is a perfect example. I consider Cosmo a major character within this movie not only because he provides comedic relief throughout the whole film, but he also comes up with many integral ideas that solve the problems of the film. This specific scene is not a major one in the overall plot. It actually has no affect on the plot. While it provides a nice change of pace from the normally occurring scenes and is a great source of comedy, it does not move the plot forward or backwards. If the entire scene were removed the movie would remain essentially the exact same and is only there for the audiences enjoyment and laughter.

This particular scene takes place back stage of a busy movie set with people hard at work. While Don is in a slump after not being able to find his girl of interest, Cosmo makes up this comedy routine to lift his spirits. Don is dressed nicely in a plaid suit and Cosmo is dressed in a more casual fashion that seems to closely resemble the outfits of the workers seen in the background of this scene. This is a symbol of status to distinguish that Don is of higher status and importance than Cosmo. Throughout the movie, Cosmo is constantly working for Don and Don’s interests which is the reason why he is portrayed wearing the same clothes as the other movie set workers. The room is well lit and full of stage props to which Cosmo puts to comedic use, such as beginning by playing the piano, getting hit in the head by a piece of wood not once but twice, jumping through a doorway filled with bricks and dancing with a manikin. The background of this number is constantly changing as Cosmo moves around the room that is full of different movie stages making the mise-en-scene very interesting in this particular scene. One such background is made to look like a Greek palace, another is a set that is still in the process of being created, Cosmo then makes his way to a backdrop made to look like a long hallway. This movie and this scene in particular, while they may be over 60 years old are still funny today. Overall, this is a timeless classic of a movie and this particular scene is one of the most recognized and funny scenes in the movie.

30 thoughts on “Make ‘Em Laugh close read

1. This post was really interesting to me because you mentioned in this post whether Cosmo is the major character or not. I also thought same question although I didn’t write a blog about this. As you said, Cosmo always offer meaningful message sometimes directly and sometimes indirectly. Especially, in the “Make em Laugh” sequence, I haven’t seen such a self-sacrificing person for telling short message. If he wasn’t in this movie, definitely this movie would lose one crucial element. Thank you Cosmo!!

2. Bu yazıda bazı ilginç son tarihler var ama hepsini yürekten görüp görmediğimi bilmiyorum. Bir miktar geçerlilik olabilir, ancak daha fazla inceleyene kadar görüşümü sürdüreceğim. İyi makale, teşekkürler ve ekstra istiyoruz!

https://www.texasholdemsite.info/
    FeedBurner’a gerektiği gibi eklendi

3. I recently discovered Al Khaleej Perfumes in Karachi, and I am thoroughly impressed with their collection. Their perfumes for women in Karachi are truly exceptional, offering a wide variety of exquisite and long-lasting fragrances. Whether you’re looking for something floral, fruity, or musky, Al Khaleej Perfumes has something to suit every preference. The quality of their products is outstanding, making them a top choice for anyone seeking premium perfumes in Karachi. Highly recommend checking them out!

4. Ліжка недорого – відмінний вибір для вашої спальні. У наших магазинах ви знайдете широкий асортимент комфортних і стильних ліжок за доступними цінами. Створіть затишок і зручність у вашій спальні без перевищення бюджету!

5. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article. The topic is very interesting and the explanation is very comprehensive. Thank you for the outstanding content!
    Best online game web: KINGSLOT96

6. Sahar Tech provides excellent service, especially when it comes to purchasing domain-related services. If you need reliable and efficient solutions, I highly recommend their best service: PKNIC cards. For a seamless experience, make sure to buy PKNIC prepaid cards from Sahar Tech. They are the best in the business!