The Treasure Hunter

The Treasure Hunter is a short story I created that follows a young female character Jessie in her endeavor to discover what the world used to be like before 2070. While the adults of this time attempt to convince the diminishing number of children that the dying world is beautiful and a forever-luxurious place, Jessie challenges this view and goes searching for the well-hidden answers. When she finds out the world is coming to an inevitable end Jessie has to consider whether it is better to tell the truth and warn her fellow classmates or let them live in peace and die in an uneducated comfort.

The reason I chose a storyline like this was to highlight our own society and how ignorant we are in ignoring the problems that occur in the world. While this class has opened my eyes to climate change I know there are still a lot of people out there who just wipe climate change under the carpet and choose to ignore what is happening. I hope this opens some eyes and makes some people consider that we need to address climate change now as Jessie questions the reader in their reasoning for not leaving a better life for her and our future generations.

“Did you ever awaken to the sound of laughter? My guess is no. My guess is the machines woke you up easily enough. That over the years they crept and crawled and penetrated through your micro pores. I’m sure they entered your bloodstream and poisoned your mind. I bet that’s how it began, that they brainwashed you into building bigger and better technology, obsessing over it until our earth decided to finally fight back. That’s my guess at least, but then again what would I know, its not as if you actually believed we would survive or in any case cared about what would happen to us.”