sub(Urban) Projections

ELAN is proud to be a sponsor of the upcoming sub(Urban) Projections, a free festival that strives to create a vibrant and colorful environment fostering conversation and appreciation for contemporary art and new media. Through digital projections, the streets and alleys will be illuminated and the downtown landscape transformed, creating an inviting atmosphere for people to gather and enjoy the city while supporting local businesses, artists, and culture. Schedule & Details can be found here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2KTVw2JYro&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Leading up to the festival, sub(Urban) Projections have been taking over the town, from sneak previews to projection bombings. Arts & Administration graduate student Katrina Ketchum describes a recent projection bombing on the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art:

Hustling down 13th on a mission, I saw bright lights projecting off of the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.  The exterior wall on the West side illuminated the night – bright colors taking the shape of squiggles, dots, lines and swirls.  As I drew nearer, I realized that what I was witnessing was not a pre-designed projection, but rather, it was art in progress.  One of my peers was, in essence, doodling on the JSMA.  Before long, I was offered the iPad and prompted to unleash my inner graffiti artist.  Here I was, painting on an art museum, using the exterior brick as a canvas. As I witnessed my squiggles and dots transmit through the technology in front of me and onto the brick wall, I came to realize that my participation in this installation was pushing the contextual and participatory boundaries public art.  This act of virtual painting is the closest my artwork has ever gotten to a museum.  Thank you (sub)Urban Projections for redefining public art in public spaces and for giving me my 15 seconds of fame.