Meet ELAN’s 2011/2012 Secretary, Amanda Kaler

The basics: I’m a Minnesota native, though I’ve been in the Pacific Northwest for almost twelve years. I received my B.A. in English and Global Studies at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington, and then spent the next seven years, working, exploring, and learning a great deal about the world around me.

My background is diverse: I spent a growing season on Whidbey Island as an organic farm apprentice, joined a traveling circus and environmental center in Brazil, worked for an ecological economics nonprofit in Tacoma, and managed a fantastic team of volunteers for a wonderful free restaurant through FOOD For Lane County, a local food bank and hunger advocacy nonprofit based in Eugene. I also participated in a transformative theatre training in Toronto that blends European and Native American clown technique. I’ve been defending the true honor of the clown ever since.

As an Arts Managment graduate student with a Community Arts concentration, I am passionate about creative culture and vibrant communities. I’m delighted to be part of the ELAN leadership team, and I look forward engaging in creative dialogue and professional opportunities together over the next academic year and beyond.