Ducks in HK 15/08/15

This day started off with a rainy morning filled with thunder and heavy rain, making my trip from my guardian’s house to Robert Black College very nerve-wracking. We (the students and professor Cheng) all met up and we were shown around campus by two second-year graduate students, Jasmine and Laura. During our tour around campus, we happened to pass by an enormous HKU sign and I thought that it was a great welcoming sight for the new study abroad group, even though it was raining!

HKU Sign

After we went to grab lunch at a seafood restaurant, we went to the history museum in Tsim Sha Tsui. There we learned about the history of Hong Kong from the Paleolithic Age to the Present Day. Inside this exhibition was a life sized street from the early times and it was amazing to see how it really was for people living at that time. There was also an interesting European building that was included with the Opium Wars section that I loved the design of! However, the most interesting part of this exhibition to me was learning about the Hakka people and their way of life. Since my father’s side is Hakka, it was most interesting to learn about my ancestors and what they did during that time. I got to see the type of house they lived in and, for a moment, I felt like I was part of that time period.

After the museum, we went to cross Kowloon Park and saw the beauty of exotic plants and trees that keep the air of Hong Kong as clean as possible. Afterwards, we saw the skyline view of HK and spent a good time over there to cool off and catch a breeze before heading down to take the infamous Star Ferry back to Central. From there we decided to head back to RBC since everyone seemed to be tired from jet lag. Not long after we settled down in our rooms again, we went to grab dinner back in Central. We tried searching for a place but couldn’t find it so we all decided to eat at a small place tucked into the street called Crab Noodles, which their main theme on the menu is… crab!

Dinner day 1

Afterwards we walked around a bit before deciding to head back and let the others have a good night’s rest since they just arrived two days ago. Until next time!

Cheers,

Bella