Art, Games, and Tech Discussion

For discussion this week, I wanted to bring up some things that I found interesting when reading BJ Jones’ passage about the origins of the digital age in art. What really stood out to me what a statement he made on page 56, saying,  “Image-processed digital photography exists in mass-media publishing, television news, and as photographic evidence in court cases”. Along with this, what intrigued me about this quote was that now, technology has caused digit photos to be the norm when it comes to sharing with other individuals.  Nearly every major technological device that is handheld has a color screen with the ability to view images.  When the reading by Jones was published, I learned how the people before us have seen new technologies like computers in their horizon.  I think some of Jones’ predictions and expectations have turned out to be true but I’d imagine he would have never imagined seeing technology evolve to the point that it’s at today. It’s truly remarkable.

Jones, B. J. (1990). Computer Graphics: Effects of Origins. LEONARDO: Digital Image – Digital Cinema Supplemental Issue, pp. 21-30.

Published by

dexterh@uoregon.edu

Senior at the University of Oregon expected to graduate with an Economics Degree in Spring 2014.

2 thoughts on “Art, Games, and Tech Discussion”

1. Hi Dexter! I think you brought up a very interesting question. As you said, “technology has caused digit photos to be the norm when it comes to sharing with other individuals.” I think new technology especially digital photography has changed the way of communication. Yes, almost everyone has a digital device that has a color screen to view images. Also, if we want to take a photo, we don’t really necessarily to bring a camera. We have smart phones and tablets with cameral rolls. You mentioned “sharing with other individuals”. I think it is another important progress that the digital technology brings to our lives. It is so easy to get people to know where you are and what you are doing now. “Sharing” photos with other people is also a new way to bring different people together. They can “like”, “share” and “comment” your photos.

2. I agree with your statement that said that over the past couple of year technology has made huge stride to becoming more advanced. Twenty years ago people could never upload picture from the Internet like they can today. With these advancements in technology sharing with others can be much easier. I personally believe that the advancements in these technologies is some what bad for the world. I feel like uploading photos can cause complications with people’s privacy. I personally enjoy my privacy very much. So I become very annoyed if someone invades my privacy.