Abstracts and full text of all HA&A theses and dissertations since 2007 are available via the UO Scholars’ Bank, the open access repository for the intellectual work of faculty, students and staff at the University of Oregon.
- MILLER, LUCY: “Egyptian Imagery on Roman Walls: The Relationship between Roman and Egyptian Elements in the First-Century CE Roman Wall Painting Isiac Ritual Worship from Herculaneum.” Advisor: K. Seaman
- PHILLIPS, CAROLINE: “Not Dead but Sleeping: Resurrecting Niccolo Menghini’s Saint Martina.” Advisor: J. Harper
- SCHNEIDER, ALEXANDRA. “Viewing Greek and Roman Elements in Augustus’ Actium Monument at Nicopolis, Greece.” Advisor: K. Seaman
- ANDERSON, AMELIA: “Performing Upon Her Painted Piano: The Burne-Jones Pianos and The Victorian Female Gender Performance.” Advisor: N. Amstutz
- GOFF, ALEXA: “The ‘Rare and Curious’ Library of Sir Julius Caesar: Marvel, Miniaturization, and Antiquarian Librarianship on Display.” Advisor: J. Harper
- KOCHMAN, SLOANE: “Back to Zero: The Artistic and Pedagogical Philosophy of Anni Albers.” Advisor: J. Lin
- MOORMAN, MICHAEL MASON: “Images of Protest: Barrier Wall Art by Ron English and Other Street Artists.” Advisor: J. Lin
- XIE, KUN: “The Form of No-Form: Reconstructing Huineng in Two Paintings by Liang Kai.” Advisor: C. Lachman
- DENNING, CATHERINE: “Departing from History: Sharon Hayes, Reenactment and Archival Practice in Contemporary Art.” Advisor: K. Mondloch
- JAMESON, DERRY: “Curating Buddhism: Reimagining Buddhist Statues in a Museum and Temple Setting.” Advisor: C. Lachman
- LONG, LINDSAY: “On the Use and Meaning of Wood in Chinese Imperial Architecture.” Advisor: C. Lachman
- SMITH, RACHEL: “A Chameleonic Icon: Questioning the Underground Christian Identity of an Edoperiod Amida Sculpture in the Nyoirin Kannon-dō, Kawaguchi City.” Advisor: A. Walley
- SABITT, CLAIRE: “Wearing the Hat of an Other: Alterity and Self-Fashioning in Giovanni Benedetto Castiglione’s Oriental Heads.” Advisor: J. Harper
- POUNDS, MEGAN: “(Un) Forming Nature: Kurt Schwitters’s Merz Barn (1947-1948).” Advisor: J. Cheng
- PARMAN, ALISON: “A World in Print; Foreigners in Japan’s Early Modern Bankoku jinbutsu-zu.” Advisor: A. Walley
- NANNENMAN, ALEXANDRIA: “The Cultural Theatrics of Early Modern Images of Demonic Possession.” Advisor: J. Harper
- MICKLE, ALLIE: “Art Beyond the Generic City: Yang Yongliang’s Photo Composites 2007-2012.” Advisor: J. Lin
- KIM, SANGAH: “Western-style Painting in Pan-Asian Context: The Art and Historical Legacies of Kuroda Seiki, Li Shutong, and Go Hui-dong, 1889-1916.” Advisor: J. Lin
- GARVIN, KAITIE: “A Genuine Dilemma: The Piombino Apollo and Fraud in the First and Second Century Greco-Roman Art Market.” Advisor: J. Hurwitt
- BOUNDS, CHYNA: “Critiquing the French: The Satirical Monuments of James Gillray and George Cruikshank.” Advisor: N. Amstutz
- DUNN, STEPHANIE: “Collecting Memories: Rachel Whiteread’s House and Memory in Contemporary London.” Advisor: K. Mondloch
- HAJELA, CHRISTIE: “Painting Photography: Robert Bechtle and the Critical Legacy of 1960s Photorealism.” Advisor: K. Mondloch
- ZIEGLER, ALEXANDRA: “Divinity & Destiny: Marian Imagery in Rubens’ Life of Marie de’ Medici.” Advisor: J. Harper
- LANCASTER, MEREDITH: “From Art to Performance: Marcel Duchamp’s Imagery of Chess Exhibition at the Julien Levy Gallery.” Advisor: J. Cheng
- KARP, MACKENZIE: “Ethic Lost: Brutalism and the Regeneration of Social Housing Estates in Great Britain.” Advisor: K. Eggener
- HWANG, SARAH: “Between Indoor and Outdoor: The Graffiti and Installations of Barry McGee (“Twist”).” Advisor: O. Howell
- SZUMITA, LAUREN: “Toward a New Landscape: The Architectural Photography of Gabriele Basilico, 1978-1984.” Advisor: J. Cheng
- NORTHEY, JANET: “The Power of Sobriety.” Advisor: J. Harper
- PARRY, CAROLINE: “The Abramović Method: The Performance Art of Marina Abramović, 2010 to Present.” Advisor: K. Mondloch
- MOUNCE, KIERSTEN: “Revolution through Beautiful Modern Art: Ren Herbst’s Chaises Sandows and the Union des Artists Modernes (1929-1937).” Advisor: A. Narath
- PHILLIPS, MADDELAINE: “Antony Gormley: Contemporizing the Index.” Advisor: J. Lin
- ROBISON, SARAH: “Picturing Reality in Postwar Italy; The Photographs of Mario Giacomelli in Relationship to Italian Neorealist Cinema.” Advisor: K. Mondloch
- CEKANDER, MEGAN: “Beyond Fabric: the Oil Barrels of Christo in Paris, 1958-1961.” Advisor: A. Narath
- KIM, GINA: “Visualizing Colonial Beauty: Female Figure Paintings of Yi Yu-Tae, 1943-1944.” Advisor: J. Lin
- BARTH, RACHEL: “Photographing the ‘Ghosts of the Living’: The Fotodinamismo Futurista of Anton Guilio & Arthur Bragaglia, 1911-1913.” Advisor: J. Cheng
- BEAVER, KATE: “Convulsive Curation: Cesar Moro and the International Surrealist Exhibitions of 1935-1942.” Advisor: J. Cheng
- BORENGASSER, DANIEL: “Replicating Icons: Personal and Public Identities of Buddhist Statues in the Seiryōji Shaka Tradition.” Advisor: A. Walley
- GREER, KELSIE: “’The Prickly Mountain Phenomenon’: A Challenge to Architectural Educatin at Yale.” Advisor: A. Narath
- KEAST, LINSDAY: “The Emptiness of Abstraction?: Philip Guston’s Abstract Expressionist Works, 1948-1953.” Advisor K. Mondloch
- KUGLER, KATRENA: “Bridging Heaven and Spain: The Virgin of Mercy from the Late Medieval Period to the Age of Exploration” Advisor: N. Camerlenghi
- SCHLOTZHAUER, MAY: “Gotô Baramon Kite as Emblem.” Advisor: A. Walley.
- AMPE, MEGAN: “Martha Rosler’s Bringing the War Home: House Beautiful, 1967-1972: An Interrogation of the American Dream” Adviser: Albert Narath.
- CARLSON, JEFF: “Les Heures Religieuses: Goya’s Religious Paintings and Their Role in Constructing an Artistic Identity.” Advisor: A. Schulz.
- COLE, (FLORENCE) CLAIRE: “Reviving the Rivalry: Constable and the 1832 Royal Academy Exhibition.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- DITILLIO, JESSICA: “Perverse Play: Persona and Performance in the work of Kara Walker.” Advisor: A. Schulz.
- FLIER, HANNAH: “Written in Thread: The Evolution of Quilting in Oregon’s Aurora Colony.” Advisor: A. Narath.
- GLOBIG, ALEKANDRA: “Modernity through Mosaic: The Malmosaik in the Vienna Secession.” Advisor: J.Cheng
- KOEHLER, JUNE: “An Old Art for a New Culture: The Propagandistic Appropriation of Tradition in ‘Nova Cultura.’” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- KOEL, JORDAN: “The Ebbo Gospels.” Advisor N. Camerlenghi
- LEVETON, JACOB: “William Blake’s חניך/(“Enoch”): Self-Annihilation & Artistic Inspiration.” Advisor: A. Schulz.
- OSTERKAMP, ELLEN: “The Classical Trophy: From Ritual Offering to Regal Ornament” Advisor: J. Harper.
- TAYLOR, SARAH: “Toward the Open Lattice: Ibram Lassaw within Abstract Expressionist Sculpture, 1945-1953” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- WEBSTER, ANDREW: “The Embedded Self-Portrait in Italian Religious Art from the Council of Trent to Caravaggio.” Advisor: J. Harper.
- WINGFIELD, VALERIE: “Personal Identity Through Architecture in Singapore at the Turn of the Nineteenth Century” Advisor: A. Narath.
- ZHU, HAN: “Using the Peak of the Five Elders as a Brush: A Calligraphic Screen by Jung Hyun-bok (1909-1973)” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- GIBSON, ASHLEY: “From Ant Farm to UbuWeb: Distribution and Access in Artists’ Video from the 1960s to the Present” Advisor: K. Mondloch.
- GLEASON, CAITLIN: “Maintenance, Craft and Prototype: Andrea Zittel’s Technologies for Living.” Advisor: A. Narath.
- HALL, DAMARA: “Ken Price’s ‘Happy’s Curios’ (1972-1978): A Critical History.” Advisor: K. Mondloch.
- MASEK, BROOKE: “‘Kalos Thanatos.’ The Ideology and Iconography of the Demosion Sema at Athens in the 5th and 4th Centuries B.C.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- WHITFORD, KELLY: “Present in the Performance: Stefano Maderno’s Santa Cecilia and the Frame of the Jubilee of 1600” Advisor: J. Harper.
- BAILIE, LINDSEY: “Staging Privacy: Art and Architecture of the Palazzo Medici.” Advisor: J. Harper.
- DECHANT, LYLE DENNIS: “Transformations of Authorial Representation in the Manesse Codex.” Advisor: R. Sundt.
- DOUGHTY, ELIZABETH: “Modern Individualism: Painting by Oscar Howe Before the Annual National Indian Painting Competition at the Philbrook Museum of Art, 1958.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- GOUDY, GAYLE: “Aspirations and Opportunity: The Architecture of Hoit, Price, & Barnes and Kansas City as a City of the Future (1901-1941).” Advisor: L. Roth.
- KAEDING, KRISTINE: “Monument or Folly? Maya Lin’s Bird Blind at the Sandy River Delta, Oregon, 2006 (Confluence Project).” Advisor: K. Mondloch.
- KILIAN, LAURA: “Missionaries’ Beasts in New Spain: The Utilization of the European Bestiary Tradition in Sahagun’s Florentine Codex.” Advisor: J. Harper.
- KNAPP, DANIELLE: “Rethinking Ambrose Patterson and Modern Art in Seattle.” Advisor: J. Cheng.
- MILES, ROBYNE: “Two for Tea: The Public and Private Collaborations of Margaret MacDonald Mackintosh with Charles Rennie Mackintosh.” Advisor: A. Schulz.
- MOSS, KATIE: “Constructing a Modern Vienna: The Architecture and Cultural Criticism of Adolph Loos.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- ZUR LOYE, TOBIAS: “History of a Natural History: Max Ernst’s Histoire Naturelle, Frottage, and Surrealistic Automatism.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- BELL, GRAHAM: “Evocations of the Everyday: The Street Pictures of Jeff Wall” Advisor: K. Mondloch.
- DEAN, HELENA: “Icons of the Iconodule: Gender, Politics and Orthodoxy in the Palaiologan Imagery of Saint Theodosia” Advisor: J. Harper.
- HANSON, HEATHER: “Souvenir of Kyoto’s Entertainment: The Shiomi Rakuchu-Rakugaizu Screens in the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art” Advisor: A. Walley.
- HARRIS, ANNE: “A Shadow of the Self: The Archetype of the Shadow in Aaron Douglas’s Illustrations for James Weldon Johnson’s God’s Trombones” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- HONG, KIMBERLY YUEN: “Tear Down the Veils: Francis Bacon’s Papal Variations 1946-1971” Advisor: K. Mondloch
- MCFADDIN, READ: “The Mystical and Evangelical Reform in the Sala dell’Albergo” Advisor: J. Harper.
- MILLER, OLIVIA: “The Spanish Royal Hunting Portrait from Velazquez to Goya.” Advisor: A. Schulz.
- ROELLE, JENNA: “That Romantic Fortress: British Depictions of the Alhambra” Advisor: A. Schulz.
- CASPROWIAK, KATE: “Fashioning the Woodcut: Raoul Dufy and the Avant-Garde” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- HAMILTON, ADRIANNE: “Translating the Sacred: Piety, Politics, and the Changing Image of the Holy House of Loreto” Advisor: J. Harper.
- HORALEK, DAVID: “Joseph Wright of Derby’s The Lady in Milton’s Comus.” Advisor: A. Schulz.
- STEFANIAK, AGNIESZKA: “The Female Personification of Death in the Symbolist Paintings of Jacek Malczewski.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- TIBBLES, KELSEY: “Assembled Identity: Exploring Notions of Cultural Hybridity in Contemporary American Indian Art, Rick Bartow, A Case Study” Advisor: K. Mondloch.
- SCHUMACHER, SARA: “‘Uomini-Statua-Oggetto’: Giorgio De Chirico’s Mythologized Mannequin Paintings in Late 1920’s Paris” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- AALAND, ALYSSA: “Fur and Fleece: Clothing and Adornment in the Pazyryk Culture of the Altai Mountains.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- ALINA, MAUNU: “Becoming Modern: C.S. Price and the Northwest Landscape.” Advisor: A. Schulz.
- TURNER, LESLIEANNE: “The Political Re-contextualization of Ravi Varma’s Printed Goddess Image.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- COLEMAN, MINA SOPHEL: “Scenes of Divine Birth on the Statue Bases of the Pheidian School in 5th Century Greece.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- DEAN, KRISTEN: “Life and Death: The Fashioning of Architecture at the Museum of Modern Art.” Advisor: D. Hurtt.
- GOULD, GAIL: “A Study of the Architecture and Sculptural Decoration of the Venetian Synagogues.” Advisor: A. Morrogh.
- HICKS, AMANDA: “Fashioned and Re-fashioned Identity: Cultural Hybridity in the Textile Works of Yinka Shonibare.” Advisor: K. Mondloch.
- WAGES, ELIZABETH: “The Sphinx and Sacred Space: Understanding Archaic Greek Votive Sphinxes.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- BORGARDT, DAWN: “Beware of Domestic Objects: Art and Politics in Claude Cahun’s Surrealist Photography.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- CLARK, AMANDA: “Building the Financial Façade: Jacques Antoine’s Hötel de la Monnaie, The Parisian Mint, 1765-1775.” Advisor: A. Morrogh.
- GERSHWIN, JUSTIN: “Fame, Graffiti and Anonymous Rage: The Getting Up of Jean-Michel Basquiat.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- SWENDSEID, KATRINA AKIKO: “The Turkic Male Image of Inner Asia.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- BURNS, KARA: “The Greek World of the Dead: Its Topography in the Art and Literature of the Archaic and Classical Periods.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- CHANG, SU-CHEN: “Empress Yang as a Calligrapher.” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- ELLISON, NISSIE: “Masculine, Feminine and Radical Manifestations of the Woman’s Building at the Chicago Columbian Exposition of 1893.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- GAUGER, CRYSTAL: “Ludwig I of Bavaria as a 19th Century German ‘Medici’ in Munich: Romanticism and Nationalism in the Architecture and Frescoes of the Ludwigskirche.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- GOUDY, GAYLE: “Computer-Aided Design’s Affect on Contemporary Architecture with a Case Study of Frank Gehry’s Career.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- HEREFORD, KIMBERLY: “Whistler and Fashion: Early Depictions of Aesthetic Dress.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- HEVEL, DEREK: “Grounded Originality: Sigmar Polke’s Use of Fabric as a Foil for Modernism’s Origins.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- PARR, ELIZABETH: “Wayward Women: Printing and the Role of Women in Reformation Culture.” Advisor: J. Harper.
- RUSSELL, HEATHER: “Points of Intersection: Swallows and Ewers on Bronze Age Thera.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- BURNHAM, MARY HELEN: “Modernist Utopias: Female Subjectivity and Three Nude Self-Portraits of Paula Modersohn-Becker.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- COOPER, TIFFANY STITH: “Minor White in Oregon, 1937-42.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- DILLON, HANNAH: “Robert Colescott: Valley of the Queens, 1964-1969.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- HIGENDORF, NATHAN R.: “Chinese Glass in the University of Oregon Museum of Art: A Collection in Context.” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- McDOWELL, GLORIA BEATRIZ: “The Space of the Species: Matta’s ‘sensitive Mathematics – Architecture of Time’ and Surrealism.” Advisor: S. Simmons
- MEE LEE, OH: “The Diamond Mountain Paintings of the University of Oregon Museum of Art: The Development of Diverging Styles of Depicting a Sacred Korean Site.” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- ROOS, BONNIE: “Entanglements of Gender and Nation in Anselm Kiefer’s Art.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- ROWAN, JENNIFER: “Danger and Devotion: The Mother of Demons in the Stories and Stones of Gandhara, A Historiography and Catalogue of Images of Early
- Buddhist Deity of Abundance.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- RYAN, MARY KATE: “Coming Home: A Cultural Case Study of Better Homes and Gardens Five Star Plans, 1946.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- WEST, PRISCILLA: “Text into Art: The Chronica Dominicana and Tomaso da Modena’s Chapter House Frescoes at San Nicolo in Treviso.” Advisor: R. Sundt.
- WRIGHT, AMANDA: “A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing: Gertrude Bass Warner, General Normann Munthe, and the Enigma of the UOMA Buddha.” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- MELTON, LISA: “Herman Preusse: Spokane, Washington’s Pioneer Architect.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- PREIS, MARY: “The Ivory Triad from Mycenae.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- FORRLER, CARA: “The Japanese Kesa: A Patchwork of Meanings.” Advisor: S. Thompson.
- LEMON, KIMBERLY: “A Woman’s Place in the Ranks: Elizabeth Thompson Butler’s ‘Roll Call’ and the Gendered Mediation of Late Victorian Nationalistic Ideology.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- TOTTEN, ANDREA: “A Study of Norwegian Stave Church Portal Figural Decoration: An Analysis of the Placement of Mythological Saga Imagery on Christian Church Entrances.” Advisor: M-L. Dolezal.
- GREENWOOD, KEVIN R.: “The Qianlong Emperor as the Bodhisattva Manjushri: Religion, Politics and Self-Conception in the Qianlong Period.” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- LACKAFF, DALENE G.: “A Descriptive Catalogue of the Manuscript Books of Hours in the Collection of the Mount Angel Abbey Library with an Historiographical Essay on the Study of Books of Hours.” Advisor: A. Acres.
- MARKLE, GREER: “Diego Rivera’s ‘Portrait of America’: Marxism and Montage.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- PONTON, CLAUDIA: “Between Death and Life: Trauma in the Art of Yayoi Kusama.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- ROSENZWEIG, RACHEL: “Aphrodite in Athens: A Study of Art and Cult in the Classical and Late Classical Periods.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- TROUSDALE, DEBORAH K.: “The Virgin with a Book in Anglo-Saxon England: A Thematic Essay and Working Catalogue of Northern European Examples, ca. 800-ca. 1450.” Advisor: M-L. Dolezal.
- ANTON, MIRIAM R.: “Seven Minutes in New York City: A Modernist Perspective on Charles Sheeler’s and Paul Strand’s Manhatta.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- BUDD, MARTA LYNN: “Fashion in Profile: The Body in Georges Seurat’s ‘La Grande Jatte’ and ‘Les Poseuses.’” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- HAAS, CYNTHIA L.: “The Architectural Response to Changing Spiritual Needs at Notre-Dame of Paris in the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Centuries.” Advisor: R. Sundt.
- HURLEY, MARIANNE RAPALUS: “The California Churches of Ernest A. Coxhead.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- JONES, LYNN F. (Ph. D): “The Multi-Unit Housing of Irving Gill, Rudolph Schindler and Richard Neutra.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- LAMB, JANET M.: “Harley S. McDonald: An Early Oregon Architect-Builder.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- METZGER, KATHLEEN L.: “The Women’s Flounced-Skirt Costume as it Appears in the Bronze Age Frescoes of Thera.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- NATTINGER, JEAN KATHERINE: “Rogier Van Der Weyden and the Mystery of the Fragmented Altarpiece: As Study in the Typology of Fifteenth-Century Devotional Composition.” Advisor: A. Acres.
- DOPSON, DIANA: “Carlos Vierra and the Origins of the Spanish Pueblo Revival Style.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- EMERSON, FAITH: “Modern Art Hits Stumptown: Sally H. Lewis and Vanguard Exhibitions at the Portland Art.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- MILLER, WENDY P.: “Recollection and Reformation: Paul Klee’s Exploration of Children’s Creative Impulse, 1905-1912.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- COLLINS, KRISTIN B.: “Manet and Chardin: Artistic Affiliation and the Problem of ‘Frenchness’ in Painting, 1858-1870.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- KERRIGAN, MARLENE B.: “The Kalkar Retable: An Analysis and Reconstruction of its Iconographic Program.” Advisor: A. Acres.
- PHILIPS-MEADOW, SORIA: “Fresh Seeing: Carr’s Engagement with Contemporary Thought and Expression in Early Twentieth-Century Canadian Landscape Painting.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- WILLIS, SUSANNE EVA: “The Sacred Architecture of Didyma Seen through the Religious Development of Apollo’s Oracular Cult.” Advisor: R. Sundt.
- CREDGINGTON, KRISTEN ELIZABETH: “Nurses, Fisherman, and Shepherds: A Re-examination of the Portrayal of Old Age in Hellenistic Sculpture.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- GRYTE, JAMES BRIAN: “Eighteenth Century Organ Design: Two Case Studies in Holland and South Germany.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- HOWLAND, DAVID MATTHEW: “The Landscape as Pictorial Frame: Andy Goldsworthy’s Permanent Sculptures at Grizedale Forest Park.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- KALY, JOHN PERRY: “Deconstructing the Ancien Regime: Iconoclasm and the French Revolution.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- KUCERA, KARIL J.: “Lessons in Stone: Baodingshan and its Hell Imagery.” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- PANTER, MARILYN: “The Female Performer in the Posters of Toulouse-Lautrec: The Carnivalesque in Fin-de-Siecle Paris.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- SHANKS-ROCHESTER, SUSAN: “Saint-Etienne at Caen and the Beginnings of the Clerestory Passage in Normandy.” Advisor: R. Sundt.
- SWANBORN, SARA M. HEIL: “Dürer, Cranach, and the Development of Lutheran Compositional Principles in the Early Reformation.” Advisor: A. Acres.
- TAN, CHRISTINE C.Y.: “‘The Jieziyuan Huazhuan,’ or ‘The Mustard Seed Garden Manual of Painting and Calligraphy,’ and the Late Ming Culture.” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- UTTER, HEATHER MARIE: “‘Personages’: Louise Bourgeois and Gendered Existentialism.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- CARMIN, JAMES: “Those ‘Damned Portraits’: The Development and Critical Reception of J.A.D. Ingres’s Portraits.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- CLAYPOOL, LISA: “The Social Body: ‘Beautiful Women’ Imagery in Late Imperial China.” Advisor: C. Lachman.
- DOUD, JAYNE L.: “Chloethiel Woodward Smith, FAIA, Washington’s Urban Gem.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- FARR, LIBBY DAWSON: “Art Museum as Bridges Across Time: Four American Collegiate Art Museum of the 1980s.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- LAMUNIERE, MICHELLE C.: “Roll, Jordon, Roll: The Gullah Photographs of Doris Ulmann.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- ROEHR, SUSAN N.: “Sezincote: The ‘Hindoo’ Aesthetic in British Architecture, 1795-1820.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- SAILOR, RACHEL M.: “Tradition and Innovation: A Reconsideration of the Hagia Sophia Apsidal Icon.” Advisor: M-L. Dolezal.
- VORDERSTRASSE, LIESL KATHRIN: “Mother Earth Laid Bare: Agriculture and the Environment in Art of American Scene Regionalism, 1932-1946.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- WITTWER, KATHY: “Gaze of Stone: The Gorgon Medusa on the Acropolis of Athens.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- YANKOSKY, THOMAS JOSEPH: “Rogier Van Der Weyden’s St. Ivo (?): Questions of Portraiture and Identity in Fifteenth-Century Flemish Painting.” Advisor: A. Acres.
- BUCKLEY, ALEXANDRA M.: “Glendale, Ohio: A Study of Early Suburban Development in America.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- DOMBROWSKI, DANIELA: “Hubert Robert’s Paintings of the Louvre- Studies of Gender and Artistic Institutions in Revolutionary France.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- SHAPIRO, LAWRENCE M.: “Heimatschutz and German Landscape Perception 1904-1914: Images, Ideology, Historiography.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- LECHNER, ANDREE PURDOM: “Hodler and Vienna: Adaptation and Transformation.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- POOLE, KETRINA: “Satirical Humor and the American Domestic Scene: Lily Martin Spencer (1822-1902) and Shake Hands (1854).” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- POOLE, SABINA: “The Emergence and Development of a Pacific Northwest Regional Style of Architecture.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- RUSH, KAREN A.: “The Adaption of Historical Meaning: John Constable’s Waterloo Bridge, from Whitewall Stairs, June 18th 1817.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- TSURUYA, MAYU: “Isamu Noguchi’s Cronos: Myth in the Atomic Age.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- BALLANTYNE, MARGO S.: “The Effect of Advertising on the Early Works of Stuart Davis.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- DE QUIROZ, DONNA: “The Virgin of the Don Icon as the Pivotal Work of Theophanes the Greek.” Advisor: D. McKenzie.
- ENNIS, WILLIAM D.: “‘A Fair and Just Moment’: A Narrative Reading of Catlin’s North American Indian Portfolio.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- FISCHER, CLAUDIA: “Van Gogh’s Translations: The Copies After Millet.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- JIANG, WEI QIANG: “The Formation of the Classic Rothko: A Pictorial and Philosophical Study of Mark Rothko’s Art.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- McCUMSEY, ELLEN K.: “David Smith’s Landscapes in Post-War America: Modernism’s Revision of the Pastoral.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- MOHR, MARILYN E.: “The Murau Landscapes of Wassily Kandisky, Gabriele Munter and Alexej Jawlensky.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- MULLER, KEVIN R.: “Innovation and Transformation: Jean Baptiste Greuze and Genre Painting of the Ancien Regime.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- OLESON, CORI MARIE: “The Offering-Table from Thera and the Problem of the ‘Marine Style’ in the Bronze Age Aegean.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- ASTON, VALERIE: “The Representation of India by British Landscape Artists between 1780-1880.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- EARNSHAW, CONSTANCE: “Guitar Song: Ming and Ch’ing Illustrations of the Po Chu-I’s Tang Poem.” Advisor: E. Laing.
- HARKOVITCH, VICTORIA ANN: “‘Das Ding an Sich in Stimmung’: The Still Life’s of Paula Modersohn-Becker.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- PIERCE, CHRISTINA L.: “Devotion by Design: An Analysis of Ms.67, A Fifteenth-Century Flemish Book of Hours from Mt. Angel Abbey, Oregon.” Advisor: R. Mann.
- WHALEN, KARIN S.: “An Analysis of Nicolas Poussin’s ‘Holy Family on the Steps’ of 1648.” Advisor: R. Mann.
- BOUGHN-MEYER, DEBORAH: “Baudelaire’s Salon of 1846: The Role of Delacroix.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- FESHBACH, RIVA: “Rudolf Schindler’s Concept of Space Architecture: Theory and Practice.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- HANSON, VIRGINIA WILSON: “A Study of American Collectors of Early Modern French Art: Caribel and Etta Cone and John Quinn.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- JOHNSON, CATHERINE: “The Early Career of Thomas Moran, Painter and Illustrator of the American Landscape.” Advisor: K. Nicholson.
- LOCKARD, RAY ANNE KIBBEY: “The Legend of the Holy Cross by Agnolo Gaddi in the Cappella Maggiore of Santa Croce, Florence.” Advisor: F. Pitts.
- TALLACKSON, KAREN LEE: “Pop Art and the Comic.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- BROWN, RANDI L.: “The Church Interiors of Harriet Backer.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- CRAWFORD, BRYAN: “The Residential Architecture of Ellis Fuller Lawrence.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- GRIFFITH, NATHAN PAUL: “Performance as Sculpture: Chris Burden 1971-1978.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- POSTON, VIRGINIA SCHUSTER: “Cultural Implications of the Golden Treasure of Tillya-Tepe.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- SCHNEIDER, GREG: “David Hockney’s Parade: An Evening of French Music Theatre Picasso Redux.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- SHURTLEFF, CHERYL K.: “La Peinture au Defi: Aragon, Surrealism, and Collage.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- STALEY, LISA ANN: “Fra Filippo Lippi’s Barbadori Altarpiece: Artistic Innovation in the Culture of Early Quattrocento Florence.” Advisor: F. Pitts.
- SWIM, ROGER: “Le Corbusier’s Modulor: One Man’s Search for Proportion, Form and Harmony.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- WEST, PRISCILLA S.: “Viking Iconography in the Romanesque Christian Art of Scandinavia.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- BELOVIC, MARINA: “Late Byzantine Painting in Siberia: Kalenic and the Kariye Djami.” Advisor: D. McKenzie.
- CHEREMETEFF, MARIA: “The Transformation of the Russian Sanctuary Barrier and the Role of the Theophanes the Greek.” Advisor: D. McKenzie.
- HEINY, HENRIETTE A. GRAM: “Boxing in British Sporting Art 1730-1824.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- TAGORE, SUNDRAM: “Louis I. Kahn’s ‘City of the Tiger’ in Bangladesh: A Social Political and Artistic Analysis of City Planning.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- TANAKA, KUMIKO: “The Influence of Italy and Jean Pucelle on French Manuscript Painting of the Fourteenth Century.” Advisor: D. McKenzie.
- ULLMAN, ADELE A.: “The Aegean Nilotic Landscape: Interconnections Between Egypt and the Aegean during the Late Bronze Age.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- MORRISETTE, LISA O.: “The Mystic Art of Morris Graves and its Relationship with Asian Art and Philosophy.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- SHI, ICHIN: “The Development of Still Life Depictions in China.” Advisor: E. Laing.
- ROSE-PERRINE, ANITA S.: “El Lissitzky’s Prouns: Enigmatic Paradigms of Utopian Visions, Mysticism, and Modern Mathematics.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- TANAKA KUMIKO: “The Influence of Italy and Jean Pucelle on French Manuscript Painting of the Fourteenth Century.” Advisor: D. McKenzie.
- TRIONE, DEBRA: “Las Meninas Again in 1957: Picasso’s Variations on a Theme.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- COCHRAN, ROBIN M.: “The Griffins of Thera: A Study of Style and Influence in the Bronze Aegean.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- GAPPMEYER, MARK SAMUEL: “The Isenheim Altarpiece: Salvation and Healing in the Sixteenth Century.” Advisor: F. Pitts.
- SKILLMAN, DENISE: “Altichiero DaZevio’s Chapel of S. Giacomo at the Santo in Padua: An Examination of His Narrative Style and Its Social Background.” Advisor: F. Pitts.
- WETHERELL, ANN E.: “Paintings and Poems of Birds by Shen Chou (1427-1509).” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- KASNER, MICHAEL: “A Proposed Reconstruction of the Weaponry of the ‘Battle Relief’ of the Alexander Sarcophagus.” Advisor: J. Hurwit.
- McGUIRE, GALINA K.: “Elena Guro, Cubo-Futurist Painter-Poet: A Life in Art.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- CYRIL, JASMIN W.: “Piero della Francesca’s Baptism of Christ: A Stylistic and Iconographic Examination.” Advisor: F. Pitts.
- EMBICK, LUCY McCORMICK: “The Expressionist Current in New York’s Avant-Garde: The Paintings of the Ten.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- LAKIN, KIMBERLY L.: “The Life and Work of John Hunzicker, Architect 1867-1945.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- SABATINI, BARBARA: “Pope Nicholas V’s Chapel of Saints Stephen and Lawrence by Fra Angelico: An Historical Interpretation.” Advisor: F. Pitts.
- WILSON, STEWART JEROME: “John Nolen, An Overview of his Career.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- MILLER, MICHAEL A.: “Robert Rauschenberg: Image as Metaphor.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- TUNG, YUAN-FANG: “The Seventeenth Century Suchou Painter Li Shih-ta.” Advisor: E. Laing.
- BELLOWS, HEATHER E.: “Twelfth-Century Novgorodian Painting: Byzantine Influence and Novgorodian Innovation.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- GARWOOD, ROBERT D.: “The Rise of the American Gas Station.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- HEARST, STEVEN D.: “The Works of Antonio Sant’ Elia: Chronology and Context.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- MANCUSO, MARY C.: “The Meeting at the Golden Gate as Key to the Hidden Dimension in Giotto’s Arena Chapel Frescoes.” Advisor: F. Pitts.
- RODDA, NANCY: “An Adoration of the Magi Ivory: Its Origins and Meaning.” Advisor: K. Gould.
- VAN AUSDALL, KRISTEN: “Quattrocento Female Portraiture: A Case Study of Literacy, Cultural and Artistic Relationships.” Advisor: F. Pitts.
- VANDER SCHAAF, ELIZABETH: “Edvard Munch’s Archetypal Image of Women: The Cultural and Social Context.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- BUCK, AGNETTA M.: “The Roman Architectural Landscapes of Christoffer Wilhelm Eckersberg.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- CAMPBELL, NANCY: “The Shift in Artistic Values between Abstract Expressionism and Minimalism as Seen in the Work of Frank Stella, Donald Judd and Carl Andre, 1958-65.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- EVANS, EMILY: “Simone Martini and the Master of the St. George Codex.” Advisor: D. McKenzie.
- HAMRICK, JAMES M.: “A Survey of the Use of Architectural Terra Cotta in American Commercial Architecture: 1870-1930.” Advisor: L. Roth.
- MURPHY, MARK G.: “Scottish Gardens from the Restoration to the Act of Union, 1660-1710.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- PETERSON, ANDREA: “The Mountain Image in Chinese Landscape Painting: Form and Content.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- THOMAS, LINDA.: “Georgia O’Keefe: Origins and Sources.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- BURDELL, PAULA: “Albrecht Durer’s Portrait of Johannes Kleeberger.” Advisor: M. Jacobson.
- CUNO, JAMES B.: “On the Early Paintings of Vladimir Tatlin: Their Importance in the Development of the Painterly Reliefs, 1910-1914.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- HOMEYER, JANE A.: “‘Westward the Course of the Empire’: A Study of the Prints.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- KERRIGAN, MARLENE B.: “The Campania Vases from the Portland Art Museum.” Advisor: F. Stern.
- REITZES, LISA B.: “Parallels in Artistic Expressions in the Works of Caravaggio and Borromini.” Advisor: M. Jacobson.
- WALTERS, JUDITH H.: “American Modernism and the Development of Straight Photography.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- GREEN, CYNTHIA E.: “Jazz: Signs for Reality, Ideality, and the Absolute in the Paper Cut-Outs of Henri Matisse.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- POLLOCK, NANCY L.: “Landscape Representation in China in the Cultural Context of the Early Han Empire.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- SPERLING, CHRISTINE: “Representations of Tritons and Mermaids on Sarcophagi of the Hadrianic and Antonine Periods.” Advisor: F. Stern.
- TATMAN, SANDRA L.: “A Study of the Work of Mellor, Meigs, and Howe.” Advisor: M. Ross.
- CASTRO, RICARDO LEON: “The New Oregon State Capitol Building: Events, Sources, and Controversies about its Design.” Advisor: M.D. Ross.
- LOFGREN, JOHN Z.: “The Miniatures of Peter Adolf-Hall.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- SUNG, YU: “A Study of the Murray Warner Memorial Collection of Chinese Art at the University of Oregon.” Advisor: F. Stern.
- HU, MITZI CHI-YUNG: “Sung Genre Paintings: An Interpretative Analysis.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- McCLURE, ARCHIBALD PAUL: “The Minoan-Mycenaean Griffin: The Evidence, Origins, and Iconography.” Advisor: F. Stern.
- BRIZENDINE, CURTIS HANSMAN: “Aesthetic Concern in Transition: An Examination of Northern Sung Painting and Literature.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- SHORT, CYNTHIA: “The Development of the Byzantine Iconostas.” Advisor: D. McKenzie.
- TURNER, DAVID G.: “Imogen Cunningham: A Critical Study in the History of Photography.” Advisor: S. Simmons.
- COLBURN, FRANK EDWARD: “The Church of St. Nicolas Orphanos in Thessalonika.” Advisor: G. Stricevic.
- CROCKER, KYLE ROBERT: “The Bronze Krater from Vix: The Problem of Its Date and Style.” Advisor: P. Lawrence.
- HAMILTON, MARILEE GRIFFITH: “The Sura-Sundaris and Mithunas of Khjuraho: A Study of their Significance in the Light of Literature and Religion.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- HARPER, SUSAN JEAN LINDQUIST: “Some Chinese Gold Granulated Objects in the Context of Early Chinese Metal Work.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- HICKS, JAMES HINGLEY: “The Acanthus Column at Delphi.” Advisor: P. Lawrence.
- MEYERS, BETTE MARIE: “Flying Victories in Spandrels on Roman Triumphal Arches.” Advisor: P. Lawrence.
- PERKINS, JUDITH ARLENE KIDD: “The Strettweg Wagon.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- RATCLIFFE, ELIZABETH R.: “Milutin’s King’s Church.” Advisor: G. Stricevic.
- SIMPSON, ELIZABETH: “Three-Sided Prism Bead Seals and the Art of Crete in the Bronze Age.” Advisor: P. Lawrence.
- DAVIS, ROBERT: “The Flemish and Italian Sources of the Art of Jean Fouquet.” Advisor: D. McKenzie.
- ESSAR, GARY MICHAEL: “Three Graphic Works by Odilon Redon: 1891, 1899, and 1903.” Advisor: M. McCully.
- JOHNSON, WALLACE NILS: “Paul Sarkisian: A Search for a New Realism.” Advisor: M. McCully.
- LOFGREN, JOHN ZAMEO: “The Illustrations in Ett Hem by Carl Larsson.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- McMUSKEE, BARBARA LYNN: “The Artistic Patronage of René I of Anjou.” Advisor: J. Sobre.
- SILBERGELD, JEROME: “Kung Hsien in Painting and Poetry: An Interpretive Analysis.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- ANSON, CYNTHIA LAY: “Ceremonial Scenes on Late Chou Bronzes.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- FULLER, GERMAINE L.: “Meanings of Style in the Painting of Ni Tsan.” Advisor: E. Jacobson.
- LOVINGER, NENA HORBERG: “The Castle Architecture of Sir Edwin Lutyens.” Advisor: M. Ross.
- McCLAIN, GEORGE ROBERT: “The Providence Painter.” Advisor: P. Lawrence.
- REYNOLDS, MARA DEPURITIS: “Tree Symbolism in the North.” Advisor: M. Donnelly.
- SONG, MISOOK: “Tchelitchew: A Study of Multiple Imagery.” Advisor: M. McCully.