Zack Blizard

This is a photo from my first final review over a year ago at the end of Winter 2020, unaware of the pandemic ahead, however somehow still extremely uncomfortable and nervous.

Degree: BArch

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2023

2021-2022 Scholarship
Jerry and Nancy Ward Scholarship

I Am Originally From Newberg, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
Initially I chose the University of Oregon largely because of proximity to home and for financial reasons, but I found as I learned more about the great focus and balance of the program overall, especially on sustainability and community-oriented design, this was a greeat choice for me. Over the last two years, I have really enjoyed the professor-student engagement, as well as the student to student engagement. Everyone is very nice and great to work with, and you can really tell how much people invest in their work, which is very refreshing to see.

I chose architecture because I felt it was a perfect blend of my technical problem-solving skills, my artistic abilities, and my motivation to do good for people. Architecture has a direct connection to the lives of everyone, so being in a field where I can design places for people is very fulfilling, as well as the ability to see my work both coming to life, and supporting life.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
My unique experiences are primarily centered around ideals that I developed growing up, both from role models and hardships. A leading ideal I try to implement in every area of my life is the general idea of helpfulness. I rarely ever have been in a situation where I have helped somebody and not also have benefitted from the helping. I learn the most when I am assisting others, and on top of that I am doing good for someone else, so I do my best to help or answer questions whenever they are asked. So many people growing up scrutinize you for asking questions or asking for help; those people live in a world of competition, where it’s every person for themselves. But if you instead look at life as a joint effort, where everyone gains from working together, as a people we could achieve so much more, and do so much more good for the world, if people are encouraged to both help, and seek help.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
Siobhan Rockcastle, Assistant Professor of Architecture and Daniel Toole, Pro Tem Instructor of Architecture, were both amazing studio professors who were very invested in both our projects and us as students. It was very refreshing to have professors who really cared about how we were doing and how our projects developed, because I’ve very rarely seen that in my life from teachers or professors, and makes me want to come back as a studio professor myself one day.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
The greatest learning experience was likely after a hard midterm review. It crushed me, which while it was a little harsh, it was intended to be helpful rather than destructive. I was so invested because I had burned myself out working on this project, which made it hard to receive a bad review. I had worked myself so hard that I had little energy to recover and really reflect on the feedback, so my studio professor told me to take a break from studio work for a day, then come back the next day. After that break I came back refreshed and ready to apply the feedback I received, without overworking myself in the process. I learned that it is not worth it to burn yourself out at the halfway point, or really at any point, and that taking a break and taking time to step back and breathe is always worth it, and will sustain you the whole way if you do it right.

AFTER GRADUATION
My greatest hope is to start an architecture firm, ideally partnering with my best friend who is also in this program. We both want to come back and teach studio as well, which would be amazing not only to achieve my dream but to do it with someone rather than going it alone. Before that I hope to do good work both in internships and other work at firms where I learn as much as possible and make or contribute to great designs.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship is so important to me because it helps fund my education, where my family and I cannot afford it. Had I not received this scholarship this amount of money would likely come from loans, which can turn into a lot more in the future, so everything that can chip away at that amount early is a huge help.

Thank you for investing in my future, where I plan on making true positive impact on people’s lives.