Sian Dim Lun

This is a photo of me with my family at the Portland Internation Airport, welcoming my sister home from deployment.

Degree: Master of Nonprofit Management

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2024

Prior Degree

BS in Planning, Public Policy, and Management, Minors in Business Administration and Nonprofit Management, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR

2023 Scholarship

Effie Lu Fairchild Scholarship

I Am Originally From Portland, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR

When I was searching for colleges one of the most significant leading factors was the cost to attend. I was searching for a school that would offer me the most money to attend because my family really can’t afford to cover the cost for me. Through my search, I stumbled across the University of Oregon and its Pathway Oregon Program. Pathway Oregon offers free tuition for freshman students who graduated from an Oregon high school with a GPA of 3.4 or higher and who qualify for the Federal Pell Grant. It covers all four years of tuition. This program has not only allowed me to pursue higher education but also higher education that I truly am passionate about. From a young age, I knew that helping others was what fulfilled me. Scrolling through UO’s undergraduate programs led me to find the School of Planning Public Policy and Management. Before officially starting college, I knew that this was the route I wanted to take. The day I attended my first PPPM class I felt right at home. I often tell my friends about the difference in comfortability I feel in my minor courses versus the courses that I take for my major. The reality I have happily accepted is that my heart lies in the nonprofit sector. The University of Oregon has not only provided me with higher education but also an opportunity to make my dreams become a reality. The University continues to provide me with more than just academic knowledge, but reassurance in my capabilities in the nonprofit sector. I wish to pursue my master’s degree at the University of Oregon as this program aligns with my future goals of being an active change maker within my community. I recognize that every individual has a form of privilege and a choice in how they use their privileges. I believe in actively using my privileges to be the change that I want to see in the world. The University of Oregon has offered an environment where learning does not feel forced but encouraged. I choose to continue to pursue my education in an environment where I am both validated and accepted.

From a young age, I was immersed in the nonprofit sector due to my mother’s work as a case manager at a nonprofit firm. Whenever my mother had new arrivals I accompanied her to the airport. We set up their new homes in America and created care packages that they received upon their arrival. To this day, this is something my mother and I do together. During my time in high school, I joined various volunteer clubs where a passion for serving my community began to spark. This spark led me to hold various officer positions where I could serve my community and build a gateway for my peers. At this time, I volunteered for an organization called Rehab Sister. For this volunteer event, the volunteers and I were tasked with organizing donations and creating care packages for houseless women within the community. Each care package contained a fixed number of products that were theirs to keep. One package could contain five feminine products and a travel-sized bottle of shampoo and conditioner. While creating these care packages, I began to picture myself in the position of the woman at the shelter. I thought to myself, that these supplies would never last me, let alone any other woman on their menstrual cycle. However, when the packages were distributed, the women were incredibly grateful, despite receiving limited products. Seeing this moment was life-changing and evoked something within me. This night humbled me, as I truly became aware of how much I took life for granted. When I got home that night, I reflected on the events that had occurred. As cliche as this sounds, I genuinely believe that people need to be the change that they wish to see in the world, and that’s exactly what I plan on doing. By studying nonprofit management, I plan on expanding my knowledge of how to proactively be a positive change within my community.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY GRADUATE STUDIES

In the non-profit sector, it is essential to have a diverse group of leaders to best understand the needs of a community. In addition, those within the nonprofit sector must also be open-minded and willing to meet communities where they are to best understand their needs. This is because community needs are not standardized. I believe that I am both an accurate representation of diversity and an open mind within the nonprofit sector. I am confident in my abilities in this sector and confident that I can be an active change within this world. Through my internship with the Oregon Community Foundation, I was privileged to sit on the advisory board of Oregon’s Project Turnkey 2.0, I performed site visits (Friends at Tryon Creek, Parrot Creek Child and Family Service, Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon-APANO, and HOPE Community Corporation), conducted informational interviews, created various research projects and contributions on topics such as community resilience, agrivoltaics, Oregon’s 2023 T.O.P domain report, and created Community 101 tool kits and curriculums. In addition, I have presented my personal research to the Oregon iSector, including State Representative Pam Marsh. My lived experiences have taught me how to set the necessary boundaries I need and have helped me to solidify my values of helping others. In addition, by understanding my boundaries when it comes to work and school I have also learned how to be a better team member. I believe that there is no better program or profession suited for me.

This summer I had the privilege of interning at Partners in Diversity through the UO Portland Internship Experience. My role this summer was to help with the 2023 NW Equity Summit. After meeting my team and the environment that they cultivated, I was willing to do anything to help. What surprised me most was the way I was treated during my internship. The trust that I received from my team removed any feelings of imposter syndrome. Sometimes you don’t understand what an uncomfortable working environment is until you work in a place where you feel comfortable and validated. Working for Partners in Diversity provided me with that comfortability and validation that I am exactly where I am supposed to be, and for that, I am forever grateful.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS

Personally, I am excited to study with any professor as I know they all have valuable information to share. What I love most about having different classes is the ability to experience the various teacher personalities and discover what teaching methods work best for me.

For every class I complete, my expectation is that my professors will further increase my professional development and teach me to be an asset versus a liability.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES

This year I am excited to be more involved with the School of Planning, Public Policy, and Management’s student club. Last year, many of my peers were able to find and create a strong community through the student club, and I look forward to doing the same.

AFTER GRADUATION

Growing up my family and I didn’t have much, but the one thing we always had was each other. For me, completing school is not just something for myself but also something that I am doing for my family. My father immigrated to America in hopes of creating a better life for my siblings and me, and to create the opportunity for higher education. Completing my degree means acknowledging every sacrifice my father has ever made and making sure that it all has been worth it. With my degree, I hope to create professional environments where communities of color can feel comfortable being their most authentic self. During my educational journey, my focus has always been centered around helping the houseless community. However, after recent political decisions, I have decided to shift my focus toward Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

Through my degree, I hope to cultivate safe spaces where my family and communities of color can be bold, uncompromising, and unapologetic when it comes to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

YOUR GIFT

To me, this scholarship means validation, as it was not something that I applied for but rather was awarded to me unexpectedly. Oftentimes during the school year and my career, I have felt imposter syndrome, that I am pursuing the wrong path, or that I am not capable. However, being awarded this scholarship has shown me that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Being recognized by someone when you least expect it makes the feeling all the more rewarding. Receiving this award has been a privilege as it decreased financial burdens and has helped make my higher education dreams a reality. Through the help of the Effie Lu Fairchild scholarship, I plan on expanding my knowledge of how to proactively be a positive change within my community. With the help of this scholarship, I will utilize it to pursue my Master’s in Nonprofit Management.

Thank you on behalf of not only myself but my family. As a first-generation student and an older sibling, I have recognized the privilege in all that I have experienced. However, my identity as a first-generation student and older sister has also helped me recognize the importance of sacrifice.

If not for this scholarship, I would have not pursued a graduate degree, as I had already had the privilege of completing my bachelor’s degree. In other words, I thought it was time to give the opportunity for higher education to one of my other siblings. However, when I was awarded this scholarship I didn’t have to think twice about choosing between a graduate degree for myself or undergraduate studies for my siblings.

I am forever grateful for this opportunity that you have provided for me and admire that you use your personal privileges and platforms to support people like me.

Thank you for being you!