Selorm Abla Maria Fiati

This is a photo of me (right), my younger sister (left), and my mother (middle). This photo was taken on mother’s day. My mum and sister have been a great pillar of support to me in and are great motivation to achieving my dreams.

Degree: MArch

Expected Graduation Date: June 2022

Previous Degree: BS in Architecture, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ashanti Region, Ghana

I’m From: Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
Growing up, I have been very curious about the environment and how buildings interact with the environment to offer comfort to its users. Throughout my educational path, I have carried this zeal in investigating how the creation of a high performing built indoor environment can be achieved without compromising the comfort of occupants. A school which aligns with this interest was the key factor in selecting a place for my specialized graduate education. The University of Oregon has stood out to be an institution that fosters research and innovation and a perfect place for me.

Also, I strongly identify with the College of Design’s values of collaboration and sharing. During my most recent professional degree education, after taking courses in the program, I decided to teach some of my colleagues who had challenges with those subjects. The fulfillment of seeing my colleagues excel reinforced my ethos about the power of learning and sharing. The thought of being a part of the College of Design, a community of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, with the common aim of designing a better world with concern for not just our generation, but future generations enthuses me. I see myself as contributing to this greater goal in a special way.

As I begin my studies, I am particularly looking forward to working with Professor Ihab Elzeyadi. Apart from his vast knowledge and insight in high performance buildings and indoor environmental quality, I admire his leadership with the High Performance Environments Laboratory. I expect to learn more about high performing interior spaces from him. I also anticipate working with Professor Philip Sperenza as he is particularly well versed in design computation and is a practicing architect in the U.S. I hope to learn from him the architectural computing skills I will need for my academic work, as well as his mentorship with regards to the art of translating research and academic work to real-life architectural solutions.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
After having completed a Master of Architecture program in Ghana, I was offered the opportunity to serve as a Teaching Assistant at the Department of Architecture in KNUST. As a Teaching Assistant, I was part of the architectural design studio staff together with three other teaching assistants and four other professors of architecture for the first year architecture class of 120 students. My role as a studio assistant was to assist in ensuring that each student understood every studio assignment and delivered on the day of jury according to the submission requirements set by the studio staff. Hence, as a Studio staff member, I assisted in organizing seminars, conducted juries and assisted the first-year students on a one-on-one basis in explaining the studio programs as we guided them in the rudiments of architecture. This experience taught me about collaboration and team work towards a common goal. I realized that accomplishing my academic goal is going to take collaboration effort between my professors, other students, myself, and other non-teaching staff. My past experience has equipped me on how to relate and work with others.

Also, in 2019, I started a home-makeover project where I transformed the interior of our home, changed the furniture layout and wall cladding, and re-decorated the rooms. Completing this project reinforced my drive to see challenges as an opportunity to offer solutions.

Furthermore, my almost two years of working experience in architectural practice as an architectural designer and construction site supervisor has further groomed me with key work ethics such as taking initiative, planning ahead, organizing and prompt action. These work ethics when applied to my studies will lead me to great success.

Extracurricular Activities I Want to Pursue
As an African, I anticipate being a part of the Africa Students Association as they seek to create cultural awareness about Africa and its people. The UO toastmasters club is also another organization I look forward to being a part of as it will offer me the opportunity to sharpen my leadership and communication skills and develop effective communication in presenting my ideas and research work to others, be it academic supervisors or clients in the future.

I am also passionate about the fight against sexual harassment. Back in Ghana, I am part of an organization that advocates against sexual assault and rape. Hence, I look forward to joining the UO Sexual Wellness Advocacy team as they are also aimed at ending sexual assault and relationship violence.

Being a part of these communities will really also serve as an outlet or a good break away from the challenging academic work of graduate school and will help me re-energize, relax and return rejuvenated to continue school work.

After Graduation
My goal is to influence the architecture in my home country with occupant-centered designs. I aspire to establish a company in Ghana to produce sustainable building components that will contribute to the construction of high-performance buildings in Ghana and that will prioritize occupant well-being.

Your Gift
Thank you so much and God bless you for this act of kindness. Your generosity in creating this scholarship is not just giving me a helping hand towards my graduate education, it is that gracious hand that is taking me from my current position and propelling me into the future that I have always envisioned for myself. I am so grateful. Thank you!