Samuel Wylie

This is a photo of me assisting with a fundraising tour of a Craftsman house in Pasadena. The owners were gracious enough to let complete strangers into their home to appreciate the incredible timber architecture. The green suit is pre-Oregon, but it feels prophetic now.

Degree: MArch & MS Historic Preservation

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2024

Previous Degree: BA, Art History and Visual Arts; Spanish and Linguistics, Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA

I’m From: Lakeside, AZ

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I chose UO for its commitments to sustainable design and social equity, as well as the opportunity to study both architecture and historic preservation. So far, I find both the faculty and students kind, dynamic, and excited to share their knowledge of architecture.

I was always curious about architecture but lacked the courage to explore it as a profession. After college, I became a tour guide at a historic house in Los Angeles and learned how architecture intersects with history, economics,  and environmental justice. I realized my academic and personal strengths would be important as a designer, so I began taking classes at community college and slowly worked toward applying to an MArch program.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
I feel fortunate to have worked between my undergraduate and graduate careers.  Most notably, I worked as a reference assistant at a historic special collections library in San Marino, CA. I met innumerable scholars who shared their passion for history and research with me. I was also able to see, touch, and read hundreds of books dating from the mid-1400s to today.

I was able to travel a lot as an undergraduate, which also broadened my understanding of architecture. I studied abroad in Havana, Cuba in 2012 and returned in 2014 to conduct a research project about the architectural restoration of the city. I also studied in Berlin in 2013 and worked at the Venice Biennale in the summer of 2015. I think these experiences have made me well-rounded, inquisitive, and appreciative of varied and challenging experiences.

My Influential Professors
My undergraduate advisor at Occidental College, Eric Frank, had a profound impact on the way I saw art and architecture.  He could appreciate anything, “as long as it was produced with thought and intention.” Through his teaching,  I began to look past what I “liked” and I found beauty in architecture by trying to understand the world and the people who created it. In a polarized world, I think the ability to reach beyond my own experience and appreciate the “other” is especially important.

My Extracurricular Activities
During my undergraduate studies, I was the editor-in-chief of a campus satire magazine, the manager at the campus coffee shop, and a resident advisor. Since 2016, I have been a tour guide at the Gamble House, a historic house-museum in Pasadena, CA. I’m looking forward to engaging in activities like this at UO.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
My current studio professor, Esther Hagenlocher, has taught me to find the essence or elements in my designs beyond what is visually apparent. This has been incredibly helpful to understand what architecture can “mean” rather than what it simply looks like.

After Graduation
I hope to be a preservation architect and work for a firm on the West Coast. Eventually, I would want to open my own firm and/or teach. I want my work to be thoughtful and meaningful, even if it’s quiet. I think my time at UO will only strengthen my love of the American West and help me build a career that fosters excitement, appreciation, and a sense of community.

Your Gift
The COVID pandemic escalated at the same time I had to make a decision about grad school, and everything felt unstable. From a financial standpoint, the Brandaw Family Fellowship was an important part of my decision to attend UO. More than that, I feel wanted and appreciated by UO. I want to give back to the UO community and be the strongest student and peer I can be. Money isn’t happiness, but it’s often freedom. I feel the scholarship has unburdened me in a way and allowed me to participate more fully and fearlessly in my program.

Thank you for this opportunity and for believing in the UO community. I love to learn, to be in a classroom, and to chase the thrill of a great idea. While this is an abnormal year, I still wake up each morning excited to improve myself. I understand that education is not a passive activity. It requires constant curiosity and reflection. It’s a privilege to have the time and resources to pursue a Master’s degree, and your contribution plays a large part in that.