Paul Turner

This is a photo of me with a chair I designed and built.

Degree: BArch

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2021

I’m From: Central Point, OR

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I chose UO because it offers a renowned architecture program along with a diverse college experience. I like the variety of courses, hands on learning, and incredible teachers in the college.

I have always enjoyed creative problem solving. I knew I wanted a career that is dynamic, challenging, and rewarding, thus architecture was the perfect fit!

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
I played baseball for most of my young life, and went to Lane Community College to play for two years. I learned the trade of floor installation from my father who is a flooring contractor. I am a proud generalist with many life interests such as designing, building, music, cooking, and so on. These different skills I have developed throughout my life continue to help me be the best architect I can be.

My Influential Professors
Don Corner was one of my favorite studio instructors. His ability to use diagrammatic sketching as a way to develop understanding was very helpful.

My Extracurricular Activities
I am the Elected President of UO American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE). I’ve learned a lot about communication, event organization, and leadership through student groups.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
My greatest learning experience was when I was in my Oregon BILDS studio with Rob Thallon. I learned a lot about what it takes to produce construction documents.

After Graduation
I hope to get hired at an architecture firm where I can continue to learn, grow, and work towards licensure. One day I hope to own an architecture practice focused on addressing community problems.

Your Gift
Any support toward my education is extremely appreciated. It inspires me to accomplish my goals. It’s a boost to have my hard work recognized and supported.

Thank you so much for helping me achieve my dreams. I’m grateful for the support and am inspired to continue working toward my goals.