Pamanee Chaiwat

This is a photo of me and other Architecture PhD students at a get together for Thanksgiving. I am at the lower right corner of the photo.

Degree: PhD in Architecture

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2024

Prior Degree

BArch, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
MArch, University of Washington, Seattle

2023 Scholarship
Anthony Wong Scholarship for Research in Sustainable Design

I Am Originally From Bangkok, Thailand

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose UO College of Design because of the aligning interest in sustainability.

Architecture is always fascinating to me but it is not specifically only about a building. Architecture as a production of culture is something I have come to enjoy investigating.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
As an international student, I am able to share my Thai culture in both classroom settings as well as in communal life at Eugene. In academics, I find my specialization unique and inspiring for many students.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
Sioban Rockcastle, Assitant Professor of Architecture, has been someone I look up to. She is very supportive and genuine. She lives by example, showing me that women can excel in both work and life!

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I always participate in a community activities for a graduate students and international students. It allows me to learn more about different countries and culture as well as building my own support group within.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
Being a Graduate Employee, teaching for multiple classes has been my greatest experience. It is fascinating to see how a similar topic has been taught differently at different schools. I also enjoy interacting with students which helps me improving myself as an educator.

AFTER GRADUATION
I am applying for academic jobs in my field. I hope to continue my line of research and integrate it with architecture studio teaching.

YOUR GIFT
This award allows me to present my work which is part of my dissertation at a conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia for “HELLO NEIGHBORS! Investigations of Social cohesion of Afghan refugees and a receiving community in Saint Paul-Minneapolis, MN” . Not only does this allow me the opportunity to disseminate my research, but it is also allows me to receive feedback and improve my analysis for the overall study.

Thank you for making this happen! Participating in an international conference is meaningful for both students and the department. I truly appreciate your generosity.