Noelle Herceg

This is a photo of me outside! Being outdoors in the sunshine is so important, whether as a break or for feeling inspired before making or writing.

Degree: MFA

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

Prior Degree
BFA, The College of Saint Rose, Albany, New York

2021-2022 Scholarship
LaVerne Krause Scholarship Award

I Am Originally From Endicott, NY

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon for the opportunity to pursue both of my interests—developing my artistic practice, and developing my teaching experience and pedagogy.

The interdisciplinary MFA program at UO gives me the freedom to not feel confined to one area of practice or set medium, and I have been working between disciplines of printmaking, sculpture, photography, and performance.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
Living in Wiesbaden, Germany between the ages of 6 and 12 influenced my current interest of art and performance, while also leading me to more conceptual frameworks for my practice around time and place, forgetting, and significance of familial connections.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
I haven’t had her as a professor, but Mika Boyd, the printmaking and fibers studio technician, has become a mentor in my practice and my teaching. I’ve learned so much from her concerning technicalities within printmaking, and how to engage students.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I am a member of Ditch Projects, a nonprofit artist-founded, artist-run studio, exhibition, and performance space providing critical contemporary art experiences in Springfield, OR and ANTI-AESTHETIC, the physical home and gallery of Eugene Contemporary Art, where I feel more connected to other makers and have a community to share my work and time with.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
My greatest learning experience has been being able to engage with students during the pandemic, seeing excitement about printmaking even if we had to work over a Zoom screen.

AFTER GRADUATION
After graduating next year, I hope to continue my participation in my artistic community with Ditch Projects and Eugene Contemporary Art. I also envision continuing to teach at the university level. When traveling becomes more open, I hope to attend artist residencies both in and outside of the country.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship will assist me with my material expenses for my work, which is especially important to me as I move into my thesis.

Thank you so much for your gift, and helping me be able to achieve my goals for my thesis project and not feel financially restricted. I appreciate it very much!