Natasha Blaircobb

This a photo taken to celebrate me completing the commencement ceremony in June 2021. After finishing my summer internship, I officially graduated!

2021-2022 Scholarship
Kantor Family Internship

Degree: BS Planning, Public Policy, and Management, Minor in Nonprofit Administration

Graduation Date: Summer 2021

I Am Originally From Viroqua, WI

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
When I moved to Eugene in 2014 I was drawn to the University of Oregon because of the variety of majors and departments available to students, the dedication to inclusion and student successes, and the innovative concepts being pursued by students at the time. I felt like my personal goals, values, and aspirations were seen and celebrated as a UO student. I feel deeply connected to the University and its student community. I am grateful for the endless opportunities it has provided to me both as a student and soon as an alumni.

I started my secondary education at community colleges in Wisconsin as an Environmental Studies Major, when I moved to Oregon I needed to complete additional requirements to apply to UO. I attended Lane Community College for two years to acquire adequate credentials and I was accepted to the U of O in 2018 into the Environmental Studies department. As I learned about the University of Oregon and experienced classes I discovered the School of Planning, Public Policy, and Management (PPPM) and subsequently added a minor in Nonprofit Management. As I took classes for the minor and acquired an internship with a local Nonprofit organization, I realized I had a deep passion for looking at social change and civil service through a environmentally minded and intersectional lens. with this realization, I transferred into the PPPM program and I have felt at home ever since.  I am excited to use the information I have gained during my life and at UO to make positive, progressive, and equitable, social and systemic changes in the future.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I grew up in Wisconsin where I was homeschooled on an organic bio-diverse farm learning about green building and permaculture practices in a rural community.  I experienced a community deeply connected to the environment, sustainability, and supporting the local economy. For over a decade I gained experience volunteering with community nonprofits, a local veterinary clinic, and several other organizations who supported rural living across numerous states. these experiences allowed me to build my networking, communication, and administrative skills. I deeply enjoy communicating, collaborating, and creating with a team and my community.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
While studying in the PPPM program I have taken multiple classes from Bob Choquette, Senior Instructor II. He truly inspired me with his dedicated, compassionate and enthusiastic outlook. Though I have had many extraordinary teachers while in the PPPM program, Bob’s classes changed how I see the world and inspired me to approach social change with a lens of empathy and humility. Bob regularly showed students he genuinely cared about our wellbeing and success. His actions stood as an example for students of how to be an empowering leader and teacher.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Due to my prior financial circumstances and my physical disability I have needed to focus the majority of my time on my educational and employment responsibilities. This dynamic has meant that I have not generally had time to participate in any student organizations or sports excluding a few single day events that were held on campus (prior to 2020). My favorite of which was the student run Innovation Summit I attended in 2019. Since the pandemic I have been able to attend several Zoom meeting social hours through PPPM. All of the events and programs I have participated in over the years have been welcoming, entertaining and informative. I am grateful to be a part of such a diverse, innovative, and inviting community.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
The greatest learning experience I have had at UO was being a part of a mock public hearing during my Green Cities class. I enjoyed seeing how the other class members prepared their parts and expressed their assigned positions. It was a fun and interactive way to learn and talk about city planning and public hearings as a group.

AFTER GRADUATION
With my academic foundation I wish to help usher in an age of environmental, emotional, and economic responsibility through community outreach and education. I hope to build a career helping communities to grow, change, and thrive while promoting sustainability, equity, and accessibility for all residents. I believe food security, environmental stability and phycological safety are essential parts of success for an individual and necessary for all communities to grow. I wish to seek work predominantly in development, program management or event planning with nonprofit organizations helping to support Oregon communities’ access to food security, housing, and mental health services.

YOUR GIFT
The impact of this scholarship is immeasurable to me. I would not be able to accomplish the same level of dedication and focus on my internship and education if it were not for this gift. Funding from the Kantor Family Internship Scholarship has greatly reduced the economic burden of finishing my education by allowing me to pay for my tuition and living expenses during the summer term, as I completed my internship.

Thank You!