Morning Glory Ritchie

This is a photo of me at Machu Picchu last year, taken by my sister. We were there at six in the morning, just as the clouds lifted and the sun rose over the architecture and the Andes. This was a breathtaking moment for me, and part of the reason I love art and architecture.

Degree: BA in Art History, Minor in Classics

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

I’m From: Eugene, Oregon

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I chose the University of Oregon partly because I grew up here and was familiar with the beautiful campus. I applied to other Universities as well, but when it came to a decision, the best fit was only a few miles away. I am passionate about Art History and the University of Oregon has fantastic faculty that I knew I would learn so much from. I have never regretted my choice, not once!

Ever since I was a little kid, I felt disconnected and art connected me to the world. I have had hearing problems growing up, I talked funny, and spent many years with a speech pathologist. I never fully understood other people when speaking to them, but art connected me to people in a way words could not. I knew I wanted to be an Art History major back in high school. It all started in a high school Modern Art History class that I took with one of my friends. Ironically, in high school, I hated Art History classes, but my friend was failing the class. I spent the entire term trying to convince my friend that Art History was amazing and important when in the end I convinced myself. This is when I found out how I could connect myself to the world. Through art, I could learn about the world and other people, cultures, not only that but their passions and influences as well. Even though my friend never gained an interest in Art History, I never looked back. Once I found out this was my passion, nothing else made sense to me.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
Before the University of Oregon, in high school, I was lucky enough to participate in an exchange program in Nepal. This was life-changing because it furthered my interest in art history. There was amazing architecture all around me. I came across this street artist at the base camp of Mount Everest who was painting the Himalayas. This intrigued me because of the way he reimagined what was in front of my very eyes. He sold me that painting for only ten dollars.

I work at Market of Choice but before that, I was a restaurant assistant manager. I guess leadership has always been part of who I am. All the regulars know me and would ask, “Are you ready for that final for Bernini? Hey, how is that paper on Hercules and Omphale coming along?” I love how I have taught my senior customers so much about art, this helped me realize my dream job, becoming an Art History Professor.

My Influential Professors
I have had three influential professors that have really stood out to me and have had a lasting impact. Professor Hutterer is so passionate when she speaks about Gothic architecture and this made me realize that I want to be a Professor just like her. Professor Harper has made me realize my interest in propaganda, which has made me approach art in an entirely new way. I now see work in a different way, whether it’s modern, early modern, ancient, or any period of time. Finally, Professor Seaman has challenged me to think critically. I think I approach scholarship about art in a completely new way after taking her seminar. I never felt afraid to ask her for advice and she is never afraid to be brutally honest. She took me seriously in a way nobody ever did and really challenged me to be better. I guess having her as a professor made me feel like I belonged in the academic world.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
My greatest learning experience was during my first term at the University of Oregon. I have always been awkward and while everyone was going to parties, and making fast friends, I started to feel like I did not belong. I wanted to drop out. I believed that I would never be successful in college. Then I went to my first class with Professor Hutterer, and I soon learned why I was here. Prof. Hutterer mentioned having a frog and I made a connection because I have a pet frog, as well. Because we have that seemingly weird thing in common, I saw myself in her shoes, being a professor. I learned to love myself and to be confident in who I am, and who I want to be. I think that’s the most important learning experience I have had because I have never been confident in who I am, but I am now.

After Graduation
After Graduation, I dreamof going to graduate school and eventually become an Art History Professor. Ever since becoming an Art History student, I have felt connected to others, and I never want to feel disconnected again. I’m also a double-major in fine arts because I believe that the process of creating art and getting in an artist’s mind is an important aspect of art history that I hope enriches my career. I want to educate others and do some research of my own! My professors are my idols and I really want to be one myself. Maybe even one day, I will get some future students into Art History!

Your Gift
Receiving these scholarship is meaningful to me because now I feel like I can do so much more. Recieving the “Gloria Tovar Lee Scholarship for Most Promising Student in Art History” and the “Joe and Alona Fischer Scholarship” was the most important thing to me, and I now feel empowered to make a difference in this field. I cannot believe I was chosen. When I came back from work late at night, I immediately called everyone I knew in excitement to celebrated. I have faced a lot of challenges in my life but this has to be one of the best achievements I have ever accomplished.

Thank you so much. This scholarship is life-changing for me, and my family thanks you as well. The obstacle of money gets in the way of education constantly, and this helps out in many ways. Most importantly, the award itself has given me the confidence to pursue my dreams in a way I will never forget. I also thank my donor for continuously donating not only to me but to past and future winners of this award.