Michael Soto

Degree: BLArch, Minor in Entrepreneurship

Expected Graduation Date: winter 2022

2021-2022 Scholarship
Betty Marie Laudahl Johnson Fund in Landscape Architecture

I Am Originally From Santa Barbara, CA

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose to attend UO because I was inspired to pursue sustainable design practices which I know the university is well known for. I also like being in the College of Design because of how supportive the faculty are of their students, as well as the teacher to student ratio.

I chose landscape architecture for my major because I wanted to help build the world around us, and to also help bring beauty into our landscapes for all to enjoy. I also couldn’t stand the idea of being stuck behind a desk or in a cubicle for my entire life filing paperwork, it just didn’t seem like a fulfilling career.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I bring a a strong work ethic to my studies, I feel that if I am to complete an exercise or assignment in my classes it should be done to the best of my ability and I should also try to tailor my work to best prepare me for my future.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
During my time at UO I would say the two most influential professors I’ve had were David Buckley Borden, Visiting Professor of Landscape Architecture, and Anita Van Asperdt, Instructor of Landscape Architecture. Both of these professors led my studio classes. Anita, who I met first, really helped me unlock my true potential and challenged me to defend my designs. She helped me be confident in my work, and taught me that every moment, success or failure, has a lesson to be learned from it. David who I had winter term 2021, focused a lot on pushing us to our limits when creating design concepts. He had us create over 15 different concepts in the span of two weeks, and we had to  find precedents, create sketches and defend each one like it was our final decision. He taught me the importance of design iterations through this method, and his intense teaching method allowed me to create one of the largest designs I had ever made and I was able to support it quite well. David also helped open the door for me to increase my networking opportunities, which is always something I enjoy working on.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I participate in the UO student chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) functions from time to time because I feel it is important to get to know those who are also pursuing a degree in landscpae architecture, but are not within my cohort.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
Only by pushing yourself beyond what’s expected will you truly unlock your potential.

AFTER GRADUATION
Once I have some design work experience under my belt one of my greatest hopes is to start my own design-build firm. I have an affinity for both hands on landscape construction and maintenance as well as design communication and graphics. I have a hard ti

YOUR GIFT
For me, this scholarship has helped me pay off the entire upcoming term, which means everything to me because it lightens the load for my parents. Earning these scholarships is honestly the best way I can help them. This scholarship also allows me to spend all of my time committed to my studies instead of having to get a part time job during my last year in school.

Thank you. Your generosity has truly helped me in more ways than I can possibly express. I will continue to work my absolute hardest. Not only because I want to, but because it feels good to know that there are those out there who believe in me, and I want to do everything I can to show that their faith and investment in me was well placed. Thank you again.