Megan Tuleya

This is a photo of my mom and me in Barcelona after my internship ended! I was excited to show her around the city where I worked and explored for a term.

Degree: Bachelor of Planning, Public Policy and Management major, minors in Global Health and Sociology

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2024

2023 Scholarship
Gregory R. Pulliam Student Assistance Award

I Am Originally From Portland, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon for the wide variety of opportunities and appreciate that variety in the College of Design as well. I love how engaged and passionate all my professors are and my classmates’ range of interests and involvement.

I hadn’t heard of Planning, Public Policy, and Management when I started at the University of Oregon. During my second term at the University of Oregon, I took an intro class to health policy and was excited to learn more. I have always been interested in public health and wanted a program that allowed me to build skills for a related career. I enjoyed the way that PPPM approaches the wide umbrella of focuses it covers, including public health. I value the action-based approach that PPPM takes, teaching students how to use their skills to not only understand an issue but take steps to mitigate it.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
From my first day of kindergarten, I attended a Japanese magnet program in Portland, OR. From kindergarten to the end of 5th grade, I spent half of my day learning in English and the other half in Japanese. By the time I graduated high school, I was able to have the opportunity to travel to Japan three times on exchange programs, starting as young as 11 years old. I feel incredibly lucky to have had this opportunity and to have such amazing teachers and community throughout my time in the program. Being a part of this program has shaped who I am and how I see the world. My experiences have guided my studies and the opportunities that I pursue in college. Besides the skills I developed through these experiences, I also see the value of incorporating an international perspective in my studies.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
My first PPPM class was with Professor Nicole Ngo. This course influenced my decision to become a PPPM major and started my connection with Professor Ngo. After my second course with Dr. Ngo, my sophomore year, I became her research assistant to help with several different policy related research projects. I admire the genuine engagement and interest Dr. Ngo has with her students, rooting for each of us to succeed. I have learned different ways to approach a variety of issues and have been encouraged to dive deeper into the topics that interest me. I am honored to have Dr. Ngo serve as my honors college thesis advisor!

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
During my time at the University of Oregon, I have dipped my toe into a variety of campus activities. My freshman year, I co-founded a chapter of a the United Nations Association and was able to pass the club leadership on to another group of passionate students this past year. I am an active member of the Student Health Advisory Community and have been able to engage with ways to improve health for students on our campus. Along this same vein, I also work as a Peer Wellness Facilitator at the Ducknest. I am excited this upcoming academic year to serve as a Peer Mentor for the Clark Honors College, allowing me to further engage with incoming students and build community.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
In winter 2023, I had the opportunity to do an international internship in Barcelona, Spain. I interned at a NGO focused on providing education for children in emergency situations. I learned so much from my coworkers about a topic I previously had little exposure to. I loved being able to explore Barcelona and learn about all that the city had to offer.

AFTER GRADUATION
After graduation I hope to pursue a Master’s in Public Health. I want to gain experience in different areas of public health and have a career in health policy. I imagine using the technical skills, communication skills, and ways of thinking that I learned though my education to support me wherever I end up!

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship is supporing me while I work on my honors thesis. My thesis is focused on healthcare access for undocumented immigrants, looking specifically at how the Oregon policy, Healthier Oregon, is implemented, its successes and challenges. Alongside working as an intern for the UO Institute for Policy Research and Engagement (IPRE), this award supports me in dedicating time to investigating a topic that impacts the health and lives of many Oregonians.

I am very grateful to have received this award. I want to thank you for supporting students and making it easier for me to spend time engaging in research. I appreciate this investment in me and my future!