Megan Tuck

This is a photo of me standing in front of the ancient Aqueduct in Segovia, Spain where I studied abroad and lived with a host family for three months during Fall 2021. Segovia is about an hour north of Madrid. This was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I was able to travel, be immersed in Spanish culture, practice my Spanish speaking, and make life long friends. This experience was life changing and a hallmark moment in my higher education journey.

Degree: BS in Political Science and BS in Planning, Public Policy and Management, minor in Spanish

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2023

2022-2023 Scholarship
Kantor Family Internship

I Am Originally From St. Paul, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
As a lifelong Oregonian, I chose to continue my education at the University of Oregon to deepen my relationships with Oregon communities and study in a state that I love. UO was the right fit for me because of the wonderful faculty, staff, and students that have welcomed me with open arms and guided me toward my future career. Personally, the College of Design has benefited my college experience by supporting students through professional development opportunities and real-world, hands-on learning experiences, and not to mention the incredible professors I have worked with over the past three years.

I chose to double major in Political Science and PPPM because I felt they complimented each other. Political Science seeks to understand and define problems in our society and government, while PPPM focuses on solutions to those problems through the public and non-profit sectors. My dad has made his career in public service working in local government and by his example I was inspired to devote my life to serving people, our cities, and our environment. Majoring in PPPM and Political Science is making it possible for me to turn my passions into a career.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I come from a small, rural farming town in the Willamette Valley and throughout high school I worked on a tree nursery and grass seed farm. In this job I did manual labor, operated harvest equipment, and got to know what it’s like to be on the ground working in the Oregon agriculture industry. Being from a small town also taught me the importance of strong communities that are built through civic engagement, collective action, and an understanding of the phrase “it takes a village.” In addition to my work experience, I am a volunteer who helps out at our local 4th of July Rodeo and other various community organizations in the Eugene area. In high school I also received my Seal of Biliteracy in Spanish from the Oregon Department of Education.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
I took the course Inclusive Urbanism with Professor John Arroyo in PPPM and this class completely changed my perspective on public service and planning. From this class and Professor Arroyo I learned about the many aspects of Urban Planning that systematically marginalize vulnerable communities and what strategies we can implement through planning to dismantle systems of oppression in physical spaces. Professor Arroyo taught me the importance of doing in-the-field work and observation as a mode of learning and how we can use art and creativity to inspire our work as public servants.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I am a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority at University of Oregon where I have served on several committees. I am also the President of Ducks in the Public Square which is a club started by PPPM students that works to connect students with the City of Eugene, City of Springfield, Lane County, and other local government entities through site visits, informational interviews, guest speakers, and other professional development activities. I am a member of the PPPM Undergraduate Student Advisory Board where we act as representatives for students and liaisons between students, faculty, and staff. Additionally, I am a Wayne Morse Scholar through the Wayne Morse Center for Law and Politics. As a scholar we attend volunteer work parties, trainings, guest speaker events, and experiential learning activities. All of these organizations have added tremendously to my experience here at UO. I have met so many different people and built relationships with people I wouldn’t have otherwise. At the core of my passions is relationship building, and through these activities I have been able to do so and create a supportive community for myself while away from home.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
The greatest learning experience I have had at UO was during past Spring term 2022 in  PPPM 494 Leadership & Change class with Professor Jose Melendez. In this class I made tremendous strides in learning how to be a leader in public service and be a meaningful advocate for marginalized communities in local government and community settings. This class has prepared me more than any other class to enter into the workforce confident that I can lead through differences and continue to grow as a leader throughout my life.

AFTER GRADUATION
As of right now I am uncertain about my life after graduation as I have no specific path yet. All I know is that I want to work serving rural and underserved communities, work in Oregon, and work in many different jobs. My interests lie in the public and non-profit sectors so I foresee myself building a career in both. In all, my greatest hope for my future is that I’m using my education for good, that I am helping people and making their lives better. I imagine myself working with people, building relationships, and enriching communities by leveraging government resources and crafting policies that actually work for everyday people. My College of Design education will give me the skills to engage meaningfully with communities and create a better future for us all using creativity, imagination, and leadership.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship is important to me because it supports travel for my internship with 1000 Friends of Oregon. I’m working on creating story narratives for wildfire ravished communities that will ultimately help legislators and advocates craft targeted and practical wildfire prevention policies. With rising gas prices it is becoming very difficult to pay for gas, and I will need my car to visit these communities and build relationships face-to-face with the people there. While remote work has made many aspects of our lives more flexible, nothing can beat having an in-person conversation and truly getting to know someone. This way I will be able to do justice to the stories of wildfire victims and advocate on their behalf. This scholarship  also relieves the financial stress that comes with paying for rent, tuition, fees, and other school related expenses. With some of this stress off my shoulders I am able to be a more committed intern, student, and community member.

Thank you so much for your generosity towards students like me. These scholarships make such a big difference for students who are living paycheck to paycheck and have little room for emergency expenses. The financial stress of college takes a tremendous toll on our mental health and overall wellbeing, and these scholarships help alleviate these hardships. It’s generous donors like you that allowed me to attend college in a state that I love and continue giving back to my community here through internships, and for this I will be forever thankful.