Madison Irwin

This is a photo of me giving a tour of the house I build while at KU. The program is called Studio 804, which has been very influential. Behind me is my boyfriend, who supported me while I built this house.

MS Historic Preservation

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

Previous Degree: MArch, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS

I’m From: Kansas City, MO

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
The UO program was highly recommended by a former professor who I respect. The historic preservation program outlines exactly how I want to enhance my architectural expertise. I’m excited because of the environment and how it feels geared toward pushing me to learn as much as I can.

I have always been interested in history and understanding the existing environment around me. Combining architecture with my interest in history led to my interest to work in historic preservation.

I am excited to work with Allison Kwok. She’s written a number of books that I have found interesting and has collaborated with a former professor that I worked with at the University of Kansas. I am hoping to learn from her experiences and more about her perspective in architecture.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
I have traveled to twenty-seven different countries, and have lived in five of those countries. I have also moved around the US quite a bit. These experiences have given me a lot of world engagement opportunities.

Extracurricular Activities I Want to Pursue
I am hoping to apply my architecture skills in activism. I’d like to work with groups that are geared towards affordable housing and any group that is progressive and seeking improvement in the built environment. I would like to see an intersection of architecture, history and social change happen in my work and I hope to achieve that through my education at the university.

After Graduation
I would like to start at a firm that works in existing built environments and works to improve them. Like a doctor, instead of creating something new, I would like to improve and maintain what is already there. This requires knowing the environment, understanding and connecting with the people and working with them to fill their environmental needs. This includes sustainability, preservation, innovation and pushing social change if needed.

Your Gift
This scholarship is the only reason I am able to attend UO. I was not able to afford it before I received this scholarship and I thought I was going to have wait before going back to school. This scholarship means that I can start on my goals sooner.

Thank you.  This scholarship means a lot to me. Your impact has been immense and I hope your support continues to impact other students like myself!