Lily Brennan

This is a photo of me standing with City of Buffalo and New York State politicians at the initial press release for Peaceprints of Western New York’s mural project. I am second from the left. The poster in the center was my proposed and winning design for the mural, titled “A Bright Future.”

Degree: MFA

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2023

Previous Degree
BFA in Sculpture and Painting with Minor in Art History, The College of Saint Rose, Albany, NY

2022-2023 Scholarship
Joe and Alona Fischer Scholarship
Virginia Green and Leila Johnston Endowment Fund

I Am Originally From Buffalo, NY

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon for its location. I wanted to move far away from New York State to become more independent both professionally and personally. I also appreciate the graduate program’s benefits such asĀ  tuition remission, teaching experience, and the ability to use the university’s studio facilities.

I chose to pursue an MFA degree to expose myself to more opportunities in pursuit of an art career. Initially wanting to teach at the collegiate level (which requires an MFA degree), this felt like the next step in my professional practices.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
Being half Asian and coming from a small town with a predominant white community, I find myself projecting these personal experiences to those who are in pursuit of interrogating the Asian American experience. I’ve found my discourse with my POC peers to be incredibly fruitful, giving both them and myself an opportunity to grow and gain new perspectives through one another.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
I have many great connections with the faculty at the university, so it’s hard to say who has been the most influenctial. Recently I’ve found my discourse with Hiba Ali, assistant professor of art, incredibly influential regarding ways to navigate my conversations in the art world. Lessons such as standing up for myself as a feminine-presenting person, considering internet and social media as legitimate sources for research, and overall being more confident with my art practices has been incredibly helpful.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I’m currently involved with the Emerald Media Group as a photographer and journalist for their magazine group Green Eugene. This involvement is important to me as it acts as a separation from my professional artwork. I find having this occupation as a good space to relax, yet still be productive in a new kind of artistic setting. I also find myself in interesting conversations and meeting new people I would otherwise never interact with if I stayed predominantly in the art program.

Last summer I was also commissioned by Peaceprints of WNY, a non-profit organization that helps incarcerated folk transition back into society, to paint a mural on one of their residential buildings. This mural is meant to represent hope, acting as an uplifting message for those who are affected by America’s incarceration system. This was incredibly important to me because it gave me the opportunity to help my hometown’s community, and in turn be an advocate for something I already supported but through my professional practices.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
My greatest learning experience has been the comradery I feel with my peers in the MFA program. When the art world is so inherently competitive, it has been great to learn about the importance of comradery and helping those you wish to support.

AFTER GRADUATION
After graduation I would like to continue teaching at the collegiate level. This could mean working as an adjunct or visiting professor for a few years, until I am given a tenure offer. During this time of professional growth I would also like to begin the process of building up my own online store to sell my work. The College of Design has inspired me with these ambitions mostly through my ability to teach as a GE for the university, as well as the opportunity to meet other artists (both peers and faculty) who may have more experience in these pursuits.

YOUR GIFT
As I transition to my final year in graduate school and begin to build my thesis to present in Spring 2023, these scholarships have given me the ability to be more ambitious with my work. I plan to use these funds to help purchase materials for my thesis. It is crucial to not feel financial restraint for artistic endeavors, and scholarships have given me more breathing room to execute what I set out to make.

Thank you for your generosity. It is so refreshing to know that folks are so supportive of our artistic practices!