Lauren Nguyen

This is a photo of me taken with Governor Kate Brown during a reception honoring and celebrating Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Heritage Month at Mahonia Hall.

Degree: BS in Planning, Public Policy, and BS in Management and Spatial Data Science, minor in Global Services

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2024

2022-2023 Scholarship
Diane M. McKeel Scholarship in Public Affairs

I Am Originally From Hillsboro, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon because it would offer me a diverse set of opportunities to meet folks who are going into various fields of work. One of my biggest takeaways during my tour of the UO was the plethora of student unions and clubs for students of color. I like knowing that I could easily find support at the University. As a lifelong Oregonian, it also offers me familiarity, while allowing me to step outside of my comfort zone. One of my favorite parts about being in the College of Design is meeting and collaborating with future change-makers who are passionate about the work that they plan on pursuing.

As a child of refugees, I was taught about the value of community and civic duty at an early age. Going into my freshman year, I tried exploring several different majors that would empower my dedication to public service. I chose to major in Planning, Public Policy, and Management (PPPM) because it would enable me to study a variety of different ways that I can create transformative change in society and advance racial justice. Although my main focus is currently on developing public policy, I enjoy knowing that I will have the flexibility and the knowledge to switch areas of focus in the future, while knowing that whatever work I do will be fulfilling and rewarding. I am also majoring in Spatial Data Science because I believe in the power of data visualization and mapping to help solve problems and educate communities, which can be applied to all aspects of PPPM.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
As a member of the Governor’s Racial Justice Council in Oregon, I have firsthand experience of what it is like to be in a position where my voice can be heard and taken seriously. I have also learned how to practice analyzing policy options and agency presentations with an equity lens. I am able to channel this energy into my studies by looking for ways that I can make it more accessible for folks to participate in civic activities and engage in my future work. My experiences allow me to challenge the material that I am learning and how I can proactively put racial justice at the forefront of my work.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
Jessica Matthiesen has been a crucial supporter in my experience at the University of Oregon since before I even took one of her classes. She constantly encourages me to reach new potentials and to apply for opportunities that I may not feel like I am 100% qualified for. Jessica created a safe place for me to be vulnerable in her classroom, which broadened the expectation I have in seeking an inclusive workspace in my future jobs. She continues to be a trusted mentor and a person I can go to for constructive professional and personal advice.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I am involved in the PPPMĀ  BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) Affinity Group which provides a safe place for PPPM students of color to connect and share our unique experiences on and off campus. This group is important to me because I have been able to create invaluable relationships with folks who I can relate to. They are people who I can go to when I am experiencing BIPOC trauma that shows up as imposter syndrome or when I don’t know how to approach specific problems. It is also a space where we can support one another in our career and personal goals.

I am also a part of the Education Recovery Committee which provides recommendations and suggestions for legislative policies at the state level. It is where I found a passion for developing policy that focuses on dismantling racism in Oregon school systems and providing resources for districts to implement anti-racist teaching in their classrooms. I want to use what I have learned from participating in this committee to finding opportunities to connect youth to civic engagement opportunities.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
The greatest learning experience I have had at the University of Oregon so far is how important community engagement is in all aspects of work. Beyond my experience aas a student in PPPM, community building and feedback will constantly be an integral part of creating change that helps accelerate social justice in our society. It also inspires me how much change can happen when we are able to gather folks who care deeply about a topic. This is something that I will take with me as I continue on in my professional career.

AFTER GRADUATION
My biggest hope is to be working in a position that will allow me to find ways to accelerate social justice. I want to work in the public service sector and (ideally) work on programs that create transformational change in public education. For example, I want to help develop programs that will enable students of color to be connected to professional development opportunities.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship is important to me because it reminds me that I have support to dream bigger. Funding like this allows me to continue to focus on my studies without worrying about the financial aspect of pursuing a degree in higher education. It can also allow me the flexibility of accepting an unpaid internship that more aligns with my career goals and aspirations. Achieving a higher education was my parents’ goal for their future children when they immigrated from Vietnam. I am grateful for the opportunity to continue to work toward that dream and to reach further to find ways that I can create a positive impact on the community.

Thank you for providing me with the support I need to attain a college degree. This gives my family and me a lot of stress relief. I appreciate the dedication you have to support students who are going through similar situations as me. This scholarship will help me achieve bigger dreams. Thank you!