Kathleen Inger

This is a photo of me in Rocky Mountain National Park. My mom and I drove across country to move me from New York to Oregon and this was our favorite stop.

2021-2022 Scholarship
Al Frazier Scholarship

Degree: Master of Public Administration

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2023

Prior Degree
BA in Philosophy and Economics, Villanova University, Philadelphia, PA

I Am Originally From Delmar, NY

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I am pursuing the Master of Public Administration. When I was applying to schools, UO stood out due to its location, the program size, and the wide range of elective courses. I knew I wanted to supplement my degree by taking courses in environmental sustainability, and I love that this program allows me the flexibility to do so. Plus, being from New York, I am very excited to be able to experience everything that the Pacific Northwest and Eugene have to offer.

When I was applying to jobs during my senior year of college, I noticed that everything I was drawn to was in the public sector. After a year of working in the public sector as a COVID-19 contact tracer, I knew that I wanted to continue in this field and this program will help create more opportunities to do so.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
For the past year, I have worked as a COVID-19 contact tracer. This job required me to speak to individuals in my community one on one about a topic that had been made to be politically controversial. One of the biggest lessons I learned was how to communicate with people whose instinct was to disagree with me. Regardless of an individual’s view of the pandemic, I was tasked with ensuring they understood the importance of staying quarantined while infectious or potentially infectious. This gave me a much greater perspective on the psychological aspect of policy and how most people want to do the right thing, but first need to better understand why it is the right thing for themselves and their communities.

PROFESSORS I LOOK FORWARD TO STUDYING WITH AT UO
As an incoming student, I am excited to work with Dr. Nicole Ngo, Assistant Professor of PPPM, and Dr. Grant Jacobsen, Associate Professor of PPPM, to learn more about urban sustainability and environmental policy.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I am excited to participate in events hosted by the Outdoor Program. I love outdoor activities, especially hiking, so I look forward to joining groups of students on some new adventures. Being able to get outside helps me to decompress and helps improve my focus when it’s time to get back to work.

AFTER GRADUATION
I hope to work within city or state government after graduation. My goal is to help make communities healthier and more sustainable through environmental policy. I am especially interested in topics of land use policy, from bike lanes, to city parks, to agriculture. I think that people’s experience of nature plays a large role in their commitment to protecting it, so I hope to be able to work in a field that allows me to engage more citizens in environmental sustainability by creating more spaces for them to enjoy nature.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship made the difference between UO being a financial stretch versus a school I could afford. Throughout the entire application process, I knew that PPPM at UO was the best fit for me academically, so I was very excited when I received the scholarship. Knowing I could afford to attend UO allowed me to choose the graduate program that will best prepare me for my future in public administration.

Thank you! This scholarship was incredibly meaningful in my graduate school decision process and I truly appreciate your generosity. I am very excited to start class and meet my peers and professors. I hope that one day I am able to provide a similar opportunity for the next generation of students.