Karen Brittain

This is a photo of me (selfie) at the Pinakothek der Moderne Museum in Munich, Germany.

Degree: MS inĀ  Architecture, focus in Mass Timber

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2024

Prior Degree
BA Fashion Merchandising, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
MArch, University of Oregon, Eugene OR

2023 Scholarship
Jim and Diane Hallstrom Tallwood Fellowship

I Am Originally From Alexandria, Virginia

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose UO for the beautiful campus, knowledgeable professors, and commitment to sustainable design. I really enjoy the collaborative nature of the college and specifically the Department of Architecture. It’s not what you find at every architecture school.

Pursuing architecture was a career change for me, I started with Interior Design courses but eventually decided that an architecture degree was the right path and where I saw my future.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I’ve been lucky to live and work around the world. I was a professional dancer and choreographer for ten years which allowed me opportunities to travel. Eventually I settled down in Los Angeles where I worked as an executive assistant in the tech industry for four years before deciding to attend grad school.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
Judith Sheine, Professor of Architecture, and Alison Kwok, Professor of Architecture, have been my biggest inspirations during my time at UO. I was lucky to have taken classes with them and gotten to know them during my MArch degree, and to now work more closely with them on deeper research projects as I pursue my MS in Architecture.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I’m currently an Environmental Justice fellow through the Student Sustainability Center on campus. I’m working under the guidance of an architecture professor to develop a community-driven planning guide for a safe sleep site in downtown Eugene. It’s an opportunity to put what I’ve studied in school to practice and a chance to work closely with a community partner.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
My greatest learning experiences at UO have been the numerous field trips to see the inner workings of buildings and talk directly to experts in the profession.

AFTER GRADUATION
Post graduation I plan to stay and work in the Eugene area with my husband and family. We fell in love with the nature and the community so we’ve put down our roots here. I want to remain involved in local community projects, address housing issues, and help bolster the mass timber industry.

YOUR GIFT
I was on the fence about pursuing a second master’s degree and being awarded a scholarship to help fund the extra year was paramount in my decision-making process. I’ve fallen in love with research and academia but being able to dedicate time to it does have financial implications so the relief provided was truly a blessing.

Thank you so much for your generous support that allows me to continue pursuing higher education in a specialized field!