Juliae Riva

Degrees: BS Planning, Public Policy, and Management, BS in General Social Sciences, Minors in Sustainable Business, Business Administration

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2021

I’m From: Beaverton, OR

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I chose the UO because of its large student population, great academic program, and a myriad of opportunities for involvement and engagement. I wanted a school where I could be a sponge, and soak in and learn about all the opportunities around me. I love being pushed and challenged in different ways. I hope to continue opening my mind and my eyes to better understand the world around me.

All of my colleges applications were to business programs, and it wasn’t until I was scrolling through the UO’s list of majors that Planning, Public policy, and Management (PPPM) caught my eye. I read the general description out loud, and my best friend told me that it sounded just like me. So, I decided to switch my major from business to PPPM, and I am very glad I did it. PPPM embodies community services and a commitment to making a positive difference in society. I love being a part of this program that fosters growth, positivity, and change for the betterment of all people.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
My experience as a middle-class woman of color, born and raised in Oregon, has made me passionate about helping local communities. Now, as a student more than halfway through college, I am exploring careers that can help make a difference. I am passionate about making a positive difference, especially for traditionally underrepresented and marginalized groups. I want to dedicate my life to improving society, particularly with issues of climate change and inequality, and I plan to do that with the motto “think globally, act locally” in mind. I believe that my background as a planning, public policy and management major, with minors in sustainable business and business, have given me a solid foundation of knowledge about the intersections of the private, public, and nonprofit sectors.

My Influential Professors
I have been lucky enough to have had several influential professors, who have helped inspire, support, and shape what I am pursuing in the future and the person I am becoming. These professors have all offered their constant support, and I am very grateful to have had these incredible resources and connections.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
Through taking a wide variety of classes in many departments and by meeting a wide variety of people, I have learned a lot more about the world around us and the way society functions. I am grateful to have taken so many fascinating classes that teach me more about the world and also more about myself. By learning more about others, I have also been learning more about myself and what I value, dream, and strive to attain. I have grown more in the past three years than I ever thought possible, and I am very grateful to have gotten the opportunity to attend UO so that positive change and learning could occur.

After Graduation
My long-term goals revolve around seeing the world, being happy, and making a positive impact through my work, especially with regard to sustainability. I know that I will be dedicated to and excited about projects of interest, all while knowing that these projects are making a positive impact on local communities. Through getting my hands on different projects and areas, it will open doors for me that may not have been open otherwise. This will help me to reach my long-term goal to travel and work abroad for a period of time. I plan to dedicate my life to sustainability and helping better society however I can, and this program through all that it does for Oregonians will be a great starting point. Everyone wants a sense of purpose and for me, using my skills to try and help improve society through sustainability would give me a great sense of meaning.

Your Gift
This scholarship is important to me because it is removing financial barriers, stress, and anxiety related both to Covid-19 and also entering my final year of my undergrad. By reducing these barriers, I am better able to focus my time and energy on my internships and areas of interest, which include being as involved and engaged as possible during my time at the University of Oregon.

Thank you very much for your generosity in helping students achieve their goals. It makes such a differenct to worry less about finances and focus on pursuing my internships and completing my courses. I am so grateful!