Joshua Hubbard

The is a photo from my Instagram account focused on plants. I set it up dedicated to plant identification. I think environmental literacy in any capacity is important for everyone to know, and aI’m proud that I am spreading important information in an accessible way.

Degree: BLArch

Graduation Date: Summer 2022

2022-2023 Scholarship
Lafky Family Scholarship in Landscape Architecture

I Am Originally From Hightstown, NJ

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon for its location in the Pacific Northwest, where the culture is more progressive than other parts of the US. And this bleeds over into design. It feels like the west coast in general is very much on the forefront of design and it feels very good to have my professional upbringing rooted in that.

I chose to major in landscape architecture because I wanted to study something creative, but still practical. I wanted to be able to mitigate climate change and have a meaningful impact on the environment.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
Before college, I wored as a landscape designer. It was a very unique experience in that, at nineteen years old, I was pretty much a kid and I was thrown into a professional role, maybe a little bit more professional than what anyone else my age would want or be comfortable with. I really enjoyed the experience and am very grateful for that period of  my life.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
I have learned a lot from all of my professors, but above all Anita Van Asperdt really taught me to be honest with myself in my work ethic, and reminded me not to fall prey to bad habits.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I’m involved with the student chapter of the ASLA, which is a great resource for keeping in touch with the broader world of landscape architecture, beyond the sphere of the university.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
The greatest experience I have had so far at UO has been meeting students and faculty of all walks of life, and how that affects their outlook as designers.

AFTER GRADUATION
I hope to have a prosperous career in landscape architecture. As I inch closer to graduation, the differences between the academic and professional world are becoming more visible. For all of the great potential of many things we learn we learn about in school, those possibilities are severely narrowed by the constraints of the real world. I will not let these constraints discourage me, or hinder the work I do in my career. I have spent far too long being pragmatic.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship reminds me that there is a life beyond college, and a chance at a very good one at that!

I would like to thank the Lafky family and Brian D. McCarl for supporting students and helping me with my education. Knowing that people continue to be passionate in their career and adhere to their morals long after their education is very inspiring at times when I may feel discouraged or burned-out.