Ivan Castro

This is a photo of me while I was presenting a design project on rapid deployment shelters for disaster relief.

Degree: MArch

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2021

Previous Degree: BS, Civil Engineering, Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR

I’m From: Barranquitas, Puerto Rico

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I chose the University of Oregon because of their commitment and ongoing research on sustainable materials and technology. I believe it is the responsibility of designers to search for sustainable solutions to current problems such as climate change, social inequality and resource scarcity through creative projects without ignoring the psychological and physical importance of spatial aesthetics and comfort at different scales. I like the collaboration at all levels that is promoted in the College of Design. Here, I have been able to work with undergraduate students all the way through independent research with professors and other members of faculty. This creates a solid network and possibility of future partnerships that excites me.

I believe my lure towards Architecture was fueled by several factors, but none more intrinsically significant than my upbringing. My parents, both pianists, always pushed us to excel academically without sacrificing our creativity and design curiosity. So, driven by their artistic devotion and my family’s dedication to knowledge and science, I always felt drawn to finding a middle ground between these seemingly opposing paths. Likewise, I’ve always found myself intrigued by the role that architecture plays in the development of history and social identity of communities. Having had the opportunity to travel to several countries around the world, this unquestionable entanglement between history, culture and architecture became clearer over time, further nourishing my interest in understanding how design can reshape communities, promote social ties and even improve resiliency and disaster preparedness.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
Back in 2017, I experienced firsthand the devastating effects of Hurricane Maria in my home country of Puerto Rico. Devastating not only because of the financial and psychological toll it took on whoever lived through the event but mainly because of the deep repercussions it had on the social fabric and collective mindset of the entire country in the months that followed. Due to the lack of adequate governmental preparation and response, the entire island had to take the task of surviving and rebuilding their homes into their own hands, starting from uniting as a community and resolving issues at a local level all the way to contributing to massive reforms in the island. This fellowship that arose was nothing short of mythical, but it took an immense amount of work and collaboration. Grassroot organizations became the primary aid in the reconstruction of homes, shelters and most importantly on the reimagination of service infrastructure systems to maintain livable conditions for the older generations and those in need. This experience redefined the way I think about social responsibility in our role as architects and members of society. More specifically, it reinforced the importance of strong social networks in healthy and resilient communities and cities as the most significant factor against the current climate crisis and its upcoming events.

My Influential Professors
Halfway through my first year, I was hired by Kevin Van Den Wymelenberg as an assistant researcher in the Energy Studies in the Building Lab, which he directs. Through my work with him, I have learned invaluable lessons, mainly about the importance of research and computational analysis in an effective design process. Although it sometimes may feel dry in comparison to the more creative aspects of architecture, I’ve realized research has the power to fuel the most creative of solutions by backing them with contextual information that can more efficiently solve both local and global issues.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
One of the best experiences I’ve had so far was the opportunity of studying abroad in Rome one the Summer of 2019. Studying architecture in one of the most culturally rich and influential cities in western civilization was a mind-expanding experience. Also, in an unexpected twist, it not only made me aware of the history and development of our culture and architecture but also of the current issues that highly touristic cities like Rome now face with the current wave of mass tourism and the way it affects the very social fabric of the cities and its inhabitants we so eagerly visit in order to get to know.

After Graduation
My greatest hope is working on meaningful projects that push the field forward on innovation while responding to the everyday issues that we face in a creative and inspiring way. I hope to work closely with communities (especially those in my home country of Puerto Rico) to understand the things that can make them stronger and more resilient.

Your Gift
In graduate school, academic dedication is half of the equation. Several personal financial concessions are required to attend and even then, financial stress often takes a lot of time and mental energy that could be put towards my classes and studies. For this reason, a scholarship provides much-needed help towards achieving my academic and career goals. At the same time, it serves as a celebration and a positive reinforcement of the work I’ve done up to this moment.

Thank you for helping me achieve my goals of becoming an Architect. Scholarships not only help financially but also gives you a sense of accomplishment that your work is worthy and recognized. Thank you for the encouragement to continue to work hard in my field.