Isabel Queisser

This is a photo of my Dad and me during Christmas shortly after my Mom and sister made silly faces behind the camera.

2021-2022 Scholarship
Gregory R. Pulliam Student Assistance Award

Degree: BA in Planning, Public Policy, and Management, Minors in German and Psychology

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

I Am Originally From Corvallis, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I initially chose the University of Oregon due to the reputation of its psychology program, but I switched to Planning, Public Policy and Management (PPPM) during my third term at UO. What I like most about the College of Design is actually what drew me to the PPPM program in the first place: the amazing community. As soon as I began taking classes in PPPM, I felt welcomed and began establishing great relationships with other students and faculty.

I chose the PPPM major because it aligns with my personal and professional goals of helping other people improve their lives and because the classes have been fascinating!

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
My father was born and raised in Germany. I was raised traveling internationally and have a deep rooted respect and interest in understanding other cultures and how international relations work. I hope to incorporate this into my professional life after graduation.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
Dr. Nicole Ngo, Associate Professor in PPPM has been my biggest role model. The first class that I took in PPPM was with her, and since then she has become my thesis advisor. Professor Ngo has taught me to be more confident in my skills and to ask questions.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I currently sit on the Undergraduate Student Advisory Board for PPPM. This opportunity has been important to me because I hope to add to the inclusive environment that drew me to the department to begin with.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
I have learned that everyone has a unique life story and set of skills. Even within my own classes, the lived experience and perspective that each student bring to the table has been inspiring and shown me that we all have something new to bring to the table.

AFTER GRADUATION
After graduation I want to work with a passionate team of people working to improve the lives of under represented individuals. The School of PPPM has taught me that there are many ways to do this.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship is important to me because it will allow me to direct all of my focus to research for the HIV Alliance. Instead of juggling hours at my part-time job, in addition to working on my internship and thesis, I will be able to dedicate more time and energy to what I am passionate about. I am so grateful for the opportunity to invest time and energy into this research project.

I would like to express my gratitude and respect. Scholarships have carried many students through college, and to receive this scholarship allows me to invest more time and energy into my future. Thank you!