Hannah Vedder

This is a photo from my recent visit to the Painted Hills in eastern Oregon.

Degree: BFA in Product Design, Minor in Environmental Studies

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2023

Spring 2022 Scholarship
Tinker L. Hatfield Scholarship in Product Design

I Am Originally From West Linn, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon because it is close to my hometown and I had cousins going here at the same time so it was awesome to be close to them. I also love the energy that the University of Oregon campus exudes. There is a great community here and I love the duck pride that all of the students seem to have. I love being in the College of Design because of the teaching style. Product Design is a very hands on major and I enjoy being creative and making things with my own hands. I love the tight knit community with my classmates and my professors, which makes my experience here super enjoyable.

I chose to major in product design because I have always been interested in creating and designing things ever since I was young. I’m curious about the why and how things are made and have always been drawn to well designed objects. I am heavily influenced by the environment around me, including the objects I surround myself with. I wanted to be able to create things that make me and others feel happy. Most importantly I wanted to be able to make a difference in terms of limiting over-consumption and its affects on the Earth. As an environmental studies minor, I feel that it’s important to create things that won’t harm the Earth further, but rather improve our quality of life and impact the planet for the good.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I have always been very influenced by my dad, who started his own business. I’ve inherited his strong initiative and drive and brought that to my studies. I am a hard worker and strive to create the best work I can. I have always been in the headspace that I can do anything if I set my mind to it, and through my experiences in the Department of Product Design I have proven that to myself.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
The most influential professor I have had so far in my academic career is Tom Bonamici. Tom sees things in a very different way than I do, which has thoroughly expanded my perspective on design. He has taught me to be more open minded in terms of brainstorming ideas and to not let myself get stuck on a specific thought or idea. I have perfectionist tendencies, which sometimes hinders my ability to let my creativity run wild, but through my classes with Tom I have learned to think freely and be more permissive to out of the box ideas.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I have participated in the Urban Farm at the University of Oregon and have volunteered at local farms around Eugene. Working locally for the benefit of my own community has been super rewarding because we have been able to improve the ability of lower income folks in Eugene to access healthy, quality food grown right here on campus.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
My greatest learning experience so far at the University of Oregon was during my Spring term ’22 studio. We worked on a project called For a Feast, where we design and produce everything for a 100 person feast held at the end of the term. Taught like a professional design studio, my professor Tom Bonamici served as the design director and the students were tasked with ideating, proposing and producing tableware, seating, tables, textiles, lighting and more. This course called for a vigorous work ethic and a high level of responsibility and time management skills. Working with a very limited budget and a 10 week production schedule, this project has given me a better understanding of what a real life design studio and its culture is actually like. I was placed as the head of the ceramics team, which allowed me to manage a group, create a production schedule and budget materials. It has taught me tangible things I can take with me to my future jobs such as meeting very tight deadlines, the quick process of ideation to production, and working with a large team to create a cohesive experience.

AFTER GRADUATION
I don’t have a set in stone idea of what my life could look like after graduation. However, I do want to do something that I fully enjoy because I think that life is too short to do something you don’t love. I do have a dream to start my own design business where I can make goods repurposing preexisting materials that improve people’s quality of life as well as the health of the planet.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship means a lot to me because Tinker Hatfield is such an influential figure in design and has trail blazed the way for so many designers. I wear his designs on the daily and think his story is so inspiring because he didn’t let the end of his athletic experience stop his ambition. I had the pleasure of watching his guest lecture in one of my design courses last year and it’s crazy to think I am now receiving this scholarship.

Thank you so much, it is an honor to receive this scholarship named for such a legendary designer.