Emily Good

This is photo of me during my final critique for my very first architecture studio during my freshman year.

Degree: BArch

Expected Graduation Date: June 2023

I’m From: Phoenix, AZ

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I have always known that I would have a career in something creative but I didn’t know exactly what. The summer going into my senior year of high school, I attended a five week program at Arizona State University where each week was a new major. After the week of interior architecture, I knew it was the major for me. I chose the University of Oregon because of its interior architecture program. After originally applying to just art schools, I heard about the program at the University of Oregon and decided to apply. After visiting all the schools I was accepted to, the location of the University of Oregon and the features of the interior architecture program could not be beat and it was the obvious choice.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
Coming from Arizona has impacted the way I view and think about architecture. Whenever designing a space, I always think about how to use the sunlight, conserve water and keep the space cool. After coming to Oregon and being surrounded by students most often from wet, dark climates, I have been able to gain a completely different perspective along with my pre-existing one. I try to also use my life experiences and emotions to create spaces that are relatable and evoke the senses.

My Influential Professors
The most influential professor I have had was Juli Brode, who was my first architecture studio professor. Juli taught me how to take my ideas and create different renditions and develop a strong work ethic. She taught me how to not take critiques personally and how to separate myself from my work when trying to develop it further. Juli made an environment that was productive but also felt like a second family. I always felt like I could ask her for help.

My Extracurricular Activities
I am currently a teaching assistant for ARCH 283, which is the first architecture studio students take. When I was asked to be a TA I was so excited because I remember how impactful my first studio TAs were. I want to help students feel like they belong in this major and feel like they are capable of their work.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
The greatest thing I have learned since being at the University of Oregon is how to utilize my time. Since each term is only ten weeks long, there is no time for procrastination. I have learned how to ask for help and I have learned more about who I am.

After Graduation
A life after graduation seems far away, but I hope to be working in the interior architecture field. Whether it be at an architecture firm or furniture fabrication studio, I will be happy doing anything that involves what I have learned while being in the College of Design.

Your Gift
This scholarship is important to me because it allows me to focus on my school work instead of also trying to manage a part-time job. Although I am currently on the fast track to graduate in four years, being in school during covid has made that much more of an unknown and this scholarship puts less stress on me if I do have to go to school for longer than expected.

Thank you so much for this generous gift. The day I found out I received this scholarship I was over the moon! I still am! This really helps in pursuing my studies and I cannot thank you enough.