Charlotte Kamman

This is a photo of me in the town of Girona in Spain! This is a place I got to visit as part of my study abroad program this past summer.

Degree: BArch, Minor in Spanish

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2025

2022-2023 Scholarship
Schroeder Family Scholarship in Architecture
Walter Gordon Memorial Student Scholarship in Architecture

I Am Originally From San Rafael, CA

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose to go to the University of Oregon because the architecture program’s focus on sustainability in architecture and design. My favorite part about being in the College of Design is the intellectual depth that I have experienced in all my classes. We always learn not only what to do and how to make decisions, but why.

I chose to study architecture after reading the book Cradle to Cradle by Michael Braungart and (architect) William McDonough. I was attracted to the design thinking strategies presented in this book and wanted to develop design skills to develop solutions for the problems caused by climate change.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
My parents are environmentalists practicing land restoration and management, and I have been volunteering and engaging in this field with them from a young age. This background is something that I believe influences and enriches my designs and my studies. I also bring my love for learning.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
This summer I took design courses from professors Philip Speranza and Ignacio Lopez Buson in Barcelona. Through these courses I learned to balance qualitative and quantitative factors in design and to think more broadly about design problems. I feel that I grew a lot while taking these courses.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I’m passionate about climate activism and living sustainably. These practices come from a place of respect for the world and other people around me. I also play classical music, which I love for its beauty, universality, and requirements of both teamwork and personal discipline.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
The greatest learning experience I have had so far at the UO was living in Barcelona this past summer and taking UO courses and a studio in urban design.

AFTER GRADUATION
After graduation, I hope to use my education and the skills that I have developed to design systems and solutions that mitigate the effects of climate change and work towards a more sustainable world.

YOUR GIFT
Receiving this scholarship is important to me because it enables me to continue to pursue my education, which is deeply meaningful to me. Additionally, this scholarship allows me to remain financially independent and reduces the financial burden of education for my family. I find this incredibly valuable because, by remaining financially independent, I am ensuring that resources are available for my younger sister to pursue the higher education that she desires.

I’m grateful for your investment in architecture students and for supporting my love for learning.