Caitlin Caldwell

This is a photo of me and my husband with our rescue pup, Benny, just after we had moved all of our furniture into our apartment in Eugene.

Degree: Master of Nonprofit Management, Arts Management Graduate Certificate

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

Previous Degree: B.Mus in Music Business with an Arts Administration Emphasis, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID

I’m From: Sandpoint, ID

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
Towards the end of my undergrad years, I sought a master’s program that would focus on arts administration while remaining in my beloved Pacific Northwest. My research led me to the University of Oregon, and a campus visit confirmed for me that this was the community of teachers and scholars that best fit my goals. I toured the campus, sat in on a class, and met with a member of the department to learn more. I found the atmosphere and vibrant learning community exhilarating. Before starting classes, I had the opportunity to sit in on a few Zoom calls with fellow students and faculty. These calls made me excited about being a student in the College of Design and PPPM because of the sense of community and the hands-on learning provided to students.

From the educational and professional experiences I had during my time in Moscow, I realized that I wanted my career to focus on the business side of music instead of performance. I enjoyed managing concerts and being the “behind-the-scenes” person more than being the musician on stage. Because of this emphasis on arts administration, I knew I wanted a master’s degree in the same field. Research then led me to Oregon’s Arts Management certificate and then consequentially the nonprofit management program. After doing more research, while also noting to myself that the majority of organizations I want to work for are nonprofits, I knew that this program would be the perfect fit for my goals.

I am looking forward to studying with Prof. Patricia Lambert because of her vast experience and connections within the arts management community. After meeting with her when I visited campus, I knew right away that she will be able to help me learn the ins and outs of working for arts nonprofit organizations as well as helping with establishing important goals for my career.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
As a first-generation undergraduate student at the University of Idaho, I was heavily involved in the school and the local community. I held two part-time jobs (one as the manager for the school of music’s student-run production crew and the other as the office manager at a local nonprofit performing arts center), performed in every music ensemble available, served as an executive board member for the local chapter of my music fraternity, worked as a teaching assistant for upper-level music theory courses, became an ambassador for my college, and volunteered at recruiting events. I plan to contribute my ideas and experiences to the robust cohort of students with the same inspirations.

Extracurricular Activities I Want to Pursue
Although the current pandemic makes this difficult to do, I hope to join a music ensemble both within the university and the community. At the university, I am looking to be in either a wind band or a symphony orchestra. In the community, I am hoping to find another handbell choir to be a part of as well as a community band. These are all ensembles I was involved with in Moscow, so I hope to continue that kind of involvement in Eugene.

After Graduation
After graduating, my long-term goal is to be the executive director of either a professional symphony orchestra or a performing arts venue. I understand this will take time and experience to get to, so I hope to find positions that will continually push me to my goal. Regardless of how life may go, it’s important to me that whatever role I have is with a nonprofit organization because giving back to the community is the focus of my career.

Your Gift
This generous scholarship helps me offset some of my costs and make it easier for me to continue my journey as a dedicated, involved student at the University of Oregon. As a first-generation student, I have always been self-funded through my schooling. Having this financial assistance will allow me to focus more on my studies instead of being stressed out about surviving financially.

Thank you! I am incredibly excited about this program, and now this scholarship lessens the financial burden. Thank you so much! This scholarship is allowing me to fulfill my dream.