Billy Guarino

This is a photo of me at my final review last Fall term.

Degree: MArch

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2021

Previous Degree: BSLArch, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA

I’m From: La Quinta, CA

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I chose the University of Oregon because I felt a strong sense of community here, I liked the comfortable and spacious studios and the pedagogy on sustainable architecture seemed appealing to me.

I was drawn to architecture because I wanted to expand my spatial awareness and design thinking skills. I also thought that my background would make for a unique approach to building design.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
During my undergraduate degree, I studied abroad in Italy for 3 months. We stayed in a small Tuscan town and took painting, design, and history classes.

My Influential Professors
Ihab Elzeyadi and Stephen Duff are the two professors who have influenced me the most. Ihab has shown me that design and sustainable architecture can be integrated into unique experiential design components within buildings. Stephen has shown me what it means to have clear and concise design ideas that are beautiful and express the craft of design, while also describing in detail the metaphysics behind structure and space in architectural design.

My Extracurricular Activities
I like to volunteer for ecological restoration activities led by organizations because our land is so important to our longevity as a planet and I love being outside.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
I learned a lot about environmental control systems and structures and I hope to bring this knowledge with me into my career.

After Graduation
I imagine using my education here as a springboard to a unique career path as an architect who is focused on buildings that exhibit a strong sense of sustainable technology with a high level of design and achievement.

Your Gift
This scholarship is very important to me because I am a first-generation college student trying to figure out how to fund my ambitious desire for learning through the university system, and so far I have had some success. However, I largely still have a lot of student debt. This award is so appreciated and is helping me achieve my financial goals.

Thank you very much for your generous donations. I strive to be able to do what you do and give back to the architecture community at the University of Oregon. I know first-hand how expensive it is to be here. Thank you for your kind support.