Anna Hothai

This is a photo of a lot of people, but upon closer look it’s all me. Graduating, celebrating! Looking toward to the fun and bright future ahead!

Degree: BFA, Art and Technology

Graduation Date: Spring 2023

2023 Scholarship
Donald Hubbard Family Scholarship in Art

I Am Originally From Pai, Maehongson, Thailand

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
After applying to 20 different colleges right after high school, I was unsatisfied with the choices I made, and I realized that I wouldn’t be able to afford a college education. I took a gap year to work 2 jobs and volunteer to paint a mural. I decided to apply to UO after that and was awarded the Pathway Oregon scholarship which allows me to pursue an art degree. I love the community and the opportunity to show your work here at the College of Design. All of the galleries dedicated to student works and the weekly exhibits have been very inspiring to me.

I have always known I wanted to be an artist. I had my first public art exhibition when I was 3 years old. My dad is an artist, and my mother worked to bring me to the United States so that I can study art. I chose to go with the digital art route because I’m drawn to animation which is very versatile and can be applied to things such as advertisement, film, music videos, and interactivity.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I was born and raised in a rural town in Thailand and I often make art about my own cultural identity and memories. Having to leave the country, my family, friends, pets, and a sense of belonging behind was extremely difficult. The disconnect between my identity here as an American and there as a Thai person is something I’m still trying to understand. I make my work not only so that I can express myself, but in the hope that someone else with similar experiences to me can relate.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
I work closely with professor Michael Salter on my BFA thesis. He’s always been very critical and supportive of my work. Every week I go to his office hours, I always try to have something new to show him, and he’s always excited to see them. I appreciate professor Salter’s blunt attitude and his high expectation (out of love for students success).

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I have worked at The Craft Center for two years, and that place is like a second home to me. The staff and coworkers I have are like my family. This is the place I go to tell good news, get hyped about something, promote my exhibitions and know that people will come, make hot tea on a cold day, and party. I also make crafts and learn new skills there which makes my art making even more well-rounded.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
Community is important. With the Craft Center team and BFA cohort, my college life feels so fulfilling post Covid era. I always thought of myself as an introvert but I in fact, I love to meet new people and share my experiences. I learned a lot about myself over the years and finally found the place where I belong.

AFTER GRADUATION
I’m now looking towards a career in motion graphics and digital illustration with design firms and small companies in Portland. I want to find a job where I can be professional and put in some personal touches. I just bought tickets to see my family in Thailand in the fall. It’s been four years since I’ve been back. I’m hoping that in a few years down the road I’ll be able to go stay there for a few years and travel while working remotely on art.

YOUR GIFT
My mother worked very hard to bring me to the United States so that I can pursue my passion in art. I work to support myself and occasionally send however much money I made to the folks at home. Being a digital artist, there’s always a cost to things like technology and software subscription services. This scholarship will be helpful for me to help invest in the things I need for my future career.

Thank you so much for your generous award and for choosing me. It feels very validating to know that I am seen and that my hard work is appreciated. Thank you, again.