Anastasiya Gutnik

This is a photo of me working away at a sketching session. This session was organized by dear friends shortly before the pandemic. It’s a reminder of how important continuing to hone my skills is and the significance of doing so in community, which I deeply miss in physical space.

Degree: MFA in Fine Arts

Expected Graduation Date: 2023

Previous Degree: Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD

I’m From: Sverdlovsk, Russia

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I was really attracted to the University of Oregon’s College of Design because of its interdisciplinary approach, the strong artists’ work I was seeing come out of the school and the faculty I wanted to work with. The program provides studio space and every imaginable shop and facility to make your work come to fruition. The funding provided for the masters program also allows me to fully focus on my practice, which is very important to me. I was looking for a program that had an interdisciplinary approach, a masters program where I can focus on the many media that I work with. This program did just that, and allows me to take courses in all areas that feed into my work, in the art department and beyond.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
I have been out of school for over a decade and have had a lot of life experiences in that time. I have attended residencies in the U.S. and abroad, had the chance to work in a lot of different arts fields. For the last six years, I have worked to coordinate public programs for a Museum.

My Influential Professors
This is my first term at UO so I have not had an opportunity to work with very many professors. I would say that Stacy Jo Scott was a really dedicated and supportive mentor, whose voice and suggestions I deeply value. She has a way of teasing out the crux and meaning of my projects and gently guiding me to ask the right questions of my work. I so appreciate her thoughtfulness and attentiveness to my work.

My introduction to Issues & Practices with Brian Gillis also left a huge imprint on me. I was greatly impressed with his ability to empower students to take ownership of the class and co-create and bring thoughtful conversation to class every week. He has an ability to take any idea and amplify and make it more exciting to digest and analyze. I felt so supported at every step of the way with his guidance.

My Extracurricular Activities
Last year I received a Queens Council on the Arts grant for the development of new work in New York. The funds allowed me to develop a solo installation exhibition. I have also received several grants to create and install sculpture projects on Governor’s Island in New York.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
There are endless opportunities available, figuring out the right ones to take and the right people to ask is key.

After Graduation
My hope is to walk away with connections that will last a lifetime, with my peers, mentors, and professors. I hope my education here will provide opportunities to be part of a number of exhibitions, to deepen and clarify my practice, to have a clearer voice in speaking about my work, and know how to find and get the artist opportunities I’m looking for after graduation.

Your Gift
This scholarship is so significant because it allows me to focus on the work that I am doing instead of looking for additional funding. It provides a bit of breathing room and takes some pressure off of the decision to go back to school. With the suspension of graduate teaching positions, it allows me to not make difficult decisions about choosing between essentials such as health insurance and other art studio needs. It means having more headspace on my practice.

I am incredibly grateful for the investment in my future and education. It means the world that Joe and Alone Fischer believe that backing artists is a worthy endeavor. I am truly appreciative to be able to have more resources to focus on the artwork that I am making with the help of your funds. Thank you!