Alma Tzintzun

This is a photo of me behind the Lawrence Hall, the main building for College of Design.

Degree: Bachelor of Architecture, minors in Ethnic Studies and Legal Studies

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2024

2022-2023 Scholarship
The DeNorval Unthank Jr. Memorial Scholarship in Architecture
PGE Illumination Scholarship
The Penny and Michael Wilkes Architecture Student Scholarship

I Am Originally From Portland, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon because of its extensive architecture program and the opportunities that I could gain by going to this school. Additionally, it is located a few hours from my hometown so I am close to home while also being independent. The College of Design offers many services to printing, a library, and even events. Events for all type of students are held there and it’s been a great resource to have. Additionally, staff is quite friendly and open to helping with any difficulties.

I have always loved to paint, draw, and do printmaking. My love for these hobbies led me to want a career in design, which then led me to architecture. I saw architecture as a path to designing building everyone could enjoy. As I go through architecture school my understanding of the role of an architect and what architecture can do is  evolving.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
As a first generation Mexican American, I try to bring my own background into research as well as be open to other people’s backgrounds. Going to a predominately white school in which Mexican culture was different and weird by comparison, I have learned to keep an open mind because of my own beliefs and culture. This is something I have as an important lesson because not everyone is the same and we all work in different ways.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
My most influential professor was my third year studio professor, Grace Aaraj, who was a visiting faculty fellow in Design for Spatial Justice. She is a Lebanese architect who is passionate about designing for those who have experienced trauma. Her studio was very informative and gave feedback which was highly helpful. She really showed me a way to fight for having my voice heard.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I am involved in intramural sports and an organization called Causa. Sports have been a huge part of my life and brings me much happiness because of the connections I have made while being part of a team. It has also helped me grow and taught me leadership skills.  Although these intramural sports aren’t professional games, I still love the opportunity to play the sports I love. Causa is Oregon’s Immigrant Rights Organization which brings to light the new opportunities or the lack of resources or wrongs that the public should know about regarding undocumented immigrants, specifically in the Latinx community. This organization is important to me because they help out Latinx communities and families who are struggling with citizenship and other forms of identification. To be part of a group like this is especially important to me because my parents are immigrants from Mexico.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
As a third year in architecture, studios are meant to be a place where you take all the information you’ve learned, and put it into design. A specific studio that I had, fall of 2021 called Trauma Informed Design: Can Architecture Heal?  really heighten my passion for design and for civic action. In this intermediate studio, we started off learning about what trauma is and how it affects people. We saw that trauma is different for everyone, and it usually occurs when a big shift happens, whether it be physical, mental or emotional. It’s personal to everyone, but it can also bring people together to heal. In my experience, it was interesting to hear this in a group setting to see how other people thought of this and what their background is with trauma. After learning about the concept of trauma, we broke it up into Pattern Languages, meaning we asked ourselves, what design changes can we make to accommodate people who have experienced trauma. How can we make this space safe for them? Many questions like these were discussed when talking about our pattern languages and learning about trauma in general. After discussing our findings with other groups in the studio, we got to researching the site in question. Our site was located in Beirut, Lebanon, after the tragic explosions at the Beirut port. The general site analysis such as sun direction, wind, temperature, rain, etc., was conducted, as well as other societal analysis. A few things I studied that could possibly affect and trigger trauma, is protester routes and how it interacts with the site, big roads and how loud they were, as well as vegetation (parks/ green spaces). By mapping these out it gave me an idea of what I wanted to design and how I could build this for people. For example, I saw that there’s little green spaces, so I wanted to create a big green space for people to heal. As well as making it a place where everyone can connect and create some peace. This gave me my new ideas about my design. My main approach to my program, which we were able to pick ourselves and organize, is a community center. A place where everyone, no matter race or class, could come together and connect. Three buildings which have different programs such as meeting places for a quieter environment, educational space with various classroom sizes, and a recreational center with a pool, dance rooms and art studios. A flexible array of areas, which could be transformed into other things, is important for someone who has gone through a lot. Overall, this studio has given me new skills such as thoroughly going through research, as well as working with the public. As someone who wants to work with people and advocate for them through design, it was a very meaningful experience.

AFTER GRADUATION
My life after graduation is unclear at the moment but I know that I want to be working with people and advocating for their rights. My College of Design education will help me because in addition to studying design, I also have the opportunity to explore outside of my major and learn more about other areas such as Planning, Public Policy and Management. Taking classes in this area will heighten my knowledge and allow me to help more people.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship means a lot to me because it shows that my voice matters and I have the opportunity to take more classes that can expand my knowledge. It supports me in the way that my academics come first and as a first generation student, I can be free to take classes that I am passionate about.

Thank you a million times. This means so much to me and my family. This is a wonderful opportunity and I’m glad that I’m a part of it. Thank you for helping give me the resources that I didn’t have growing up.