Alison Deak

This is a phot of me with my two dogs near the summit of South Sister Mountain. This was taken while my partner and I climbed the peak for my 29th birthday.

Degree: Master of Nonprofit Management; MS Geography

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2021

Previous Degree: BS, Geography and Environment Studies, University of Colorado Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs, CO

I’m From: Chardon, OH

Why I Came to the UO
I was interested in nonprofit management and UO is one of the few universities in the country offering a master’s degree in nonprofit management. I also received a recruitment scholarship to come to UO, which further pursuaded me to come to this school!

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
I am the first person in my family to pursue a college degree and I worked full-time as an undergraduate student without family support. I am a former waitress and wildland firefighter, and I attended community college for my first two years of college.

My Influential Professors
Dr. Thomas Huber from the University of Colorado Colorado Springs inspired me to study geography and become passionate about understanding the natural world. He has also helped me substantially over the years by writing many reference letters on my behalf and is likely the reason I was accepted to UO.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
My best learning experience has been taking the Nonprofit Consultancy course in the PPPM department.

After Graduation
I hope to eventually earn a PhD and become an executive director or conservation director of an environmental nonprofit organization.

Your Gift
This scholarship is meaningful to me because I would not have been able to afford summer tuition without this and other scholarships.

I am so grateful for your generous support — my summer internship would not have been possible without your help!