Reflection

Blog banner with photo of the author and blog post title

By Brian Saunders, Outreach Coordinator, Oregon Dunes Restoration Collaborative

It has been a remarkable two years with the RARE program and the Oregon Dunes Restoration Collaborative (ODRC). I remember the first day of Year 26 orientation like it was yesterday; so many new faces, a new environment, and a new chapter of life. I was happy to leave my old life in the past and embark on a new voyage that I knew was just the beginning of something great.

The author, wearing a big puffy jacket, standing on a dune covered in beach grass, in front of a frothy Pacific Ocean. It looks windy.

It feels weird to be even be typing this because at times I feel like I just started RARE. Other times, it feels like I have been at home for years now. One of the greatest parts about my RARE experience is the personal growth and confidence I’ve seen in myself the past year and a half.

In 2019, I arrived in Oregon with little professional experience and was naturally a bit nervous about how qualified I really felt. Although it took a few months to fully get settled in and feel confident in my work, its amazing to look back and see everything that has been accomplished since my first day on the job.

Woman holding pruning shears and wearing garden gloves stands alongside a gravel road beside beach grass growing out of a dune. The author stands behind, wearing a face mask.Over the past year and a half, I have…

• Facilitated a series of steering committee, strategic planning, and quarterly meetings
  • Facilitated the development of a multi-year strategic action plan
  • Assisted in multiple grant writing sessions
  • Doubled our social media following
  • Tabled multiple community events
  • Gave presentations to different organizations
  • Led volunteer groups out on the dunes
  • Released two short films that educate the public on invasive plant species on the Oregon coast

I will forever look back at my time with RARE and the ODRC as a pivotal time in my life. I am excited to take the skills and confidence I’ve gained here and apply them to the next chapter in my book; wherever and whatever that may be. I would like to thank Travel Lane County and the Siuslaw National Forest for their immense support and belief in my work. To all of the volunteers, co-workers, and friendly faces I’ve met along the way, thanks for making these past two years unforgettable.

The author smiling in a bright space, wearing a button up collared shirtAbout the author, Brian Saunders: Brian grew up in a small town of 6,000 people in Connecticut. After completing his Bachelor’s degree in Geography in the Spring of 2019, Brian was eager to come back to Oregon where he has been visiting for the past 6-7 years. During his senior year of college, Brian worked as an intern for a local non-profit food security organization. Brian loves to spend his time playing soccer, snowboarding, and biking.