Once a Stranger, Now a Friend

By Lorrie McKee, Ignite Center Assistant, City of La Grande

Blog banner with title of article and photo of the author

Change can be scary. It can be overwhelming and sometimes even debilitating but change is our only constant. A curious conundrum that ALL of us experience for the duration of our time here on earth. I have experienced numerous changes in my life and moving 1,190 miles away has been the largest physical change I have experienced yet. The trip brought me back to my nomad roots. I saw rolling hills, mountains, and the most hay I have ever seen in my life. Driving into La Grande, Oregon was a transcendent experience filled with laughter turning into happy tears. I could not believe these mountains would be my new home.

A sunny landscape photo of Eastern Oregon high desert

Now I am not saying that these changes do not come with their own challenges. Moving is exhausting, both mentally and physically. And as my family left me, I now realize I have a new beginning. I can go out of my comfort zone and reimagine who I want to be.

The fear in my head tells me I may not be accepted. People are weary of new travelers and trust needs to be gained. However, here in La Grande, I was welcomed with nothing but open arms. Part of my position here involves my participation in committee work. I joined the Christmas Committee and was introduced to many smiling faces. With lockdowns still in place, Christmas seemed gloomy and unattainable…I mean, how can you not have Christmas?! And with decades of holiday traditions being too problematic to make happen this year, we were tasked with the opportunity to create a new kind of tradition this year…the Christmas Caravan. A series of streets decorated and lit so that all could drive by together with their cars decorated for the season.

I was tasked with the mission of decorating a vacant store front on the main street downtown. I contacted the building owner and had a lovely conversation about his life here in La Grande. He worked on the railroad and has lived here for over 70 years. He was the perfect brain to pick to understand the changes that have happened in La Grande that made it what it is now. As the great Epictetus once said, “we have two ears and one mouth, so we can listen twice as much as we speak”. I believe the most impactful thing you can do for people is to listen.

This interaction had a domino effect. Each community member I talked to gave me new insight to the place where I live now. Those that make up a community are THE MOST important piece to the community. An obvious statement but often gets lost quite frequently in our daily conversation. This has been my biggest impact so far in my community…listening. I hope to continue to listen and give those that feel they do not have a voice, a voice. My position here in La Grande has given community members just another opportunity to be heard and make valuable impacts in the place they live. New eyes bring new perspectives and sometimes we need to step back to see the big picture that is often forgotten.

View of a rainbow coming out of the clouds over a building roof with an American flag flying in the wind

Photo of the author in sunset glow, standing in front of a colorful muralAbout the author, Lorrie McKee: Lorrie earned her undergraduate degree in the Spring of 2020, focusing in Conservation and Environmental Planning with an emphasis in planning from the University of Wisconsin River Falls. She is interested in connecting communities with each other and ultimately, with their environment. In the future, she hopes to help build strong communities and help them navigate their natural resources in a way that is respectful and useful. She hopes to build strong relationships with community members wherever her work takes her. In her free time, she loves to explore the outdoors and express her creativity through art. She is excited to learn all that Oregon has to offer.

Does community development work interest you? Are you looking for a life changing experience in rural Oregon? Learn more about serving with the RARE AmeriCorps Program.