Kicking Off the Year

RARE Americorps TrainingProfessional development is a significant element of the RARE (Resource Assistance for Rural Environments) experience.  Most recently, RARE AmeriCorps participants gathered in Portland for AmeriCorps Kickoff and RARE Training.  The thought of gathering in Oregon’s largest municipality for RARE training always raises brows.  I mean really, why would a program focused on serving rural Oregon gather in the bustling metropolis of Portland?  To start, Portland is the home of Oregon Volunteers, Oregon’s statewide entity to volunteerism, civic engagement, and AmeriCorps.  As such, Oregon Volunteers takes forefront of organizing the annual AmeriCorps Kickoff; an event that gathers all AmeriCorps participants in the State of Oregon to officially “kickoff” the year at Portland State University.  This event offers up an opportunity for RARE AmeriCorps participants and their counterparts to enjoy a day of training; gain a better understanding of AmeriCorps; and, network with other AmeriCorps participants serving in the State.

Building on the momentum of Kickoff, RARE offered an additional day of training focused on work plan development, working with the press, and project management. Following RARE tradition, all participants gave a five minute presentation focused on their communities and the work they will be carrying out over the course of their year of service. Possibly it is just me, but this element of training always makes me a little nostalgic.  As a former RARE participant, I vividly remember how nervous I was as I prepped for my presentation so many years ago, and the memory brings a smile to my face. While time brings about many changes there are some things that remain unaltered… the intrinsic nervousness brought about by public speaking being one of them.

As we kickoff the coming year of service I anticipate significant personal and professional growth for each RARE participant. As simple as these five minute presentations are, well, they sure do offer up a great starting point. A starting point we can look back on days, months, or years later to gauge our development as individuals.

TItus Tomlinson RARE Program CoordinatorAbout the Author: Titus Tomlinson is the Program Coordinator at RARE AmeriCorps Program. He served as a RARE AmeriCorps Participant in 2006 and 2009. Titus earned a Masters in Community and Regional Planning Graduate Program from the University of Oregon between his stints as a RARE Participant. During his free time he enjoys basking in the glory of Oregon via mountain bike, rope or boat.