Week One!

Before coming to college I was extremely nervous. I was worried that I wouldn’t make any friends, I would miss my family and I would struggle with all my classes. Although I am only a week into college it has been an amazing experience up to this point.

The first week of college has been nothing but a positive, fun, exciting time. I love my classes and professors. Every professor of mine is excited to teach, which makes me excited to learn. I am particularly excited about Ethnic studies because it addresses social issues people face today in our world. I also love my residence hall. Carson floor two is the friendliest group of people I have ever met. Everyone is so open to meeting each other and creating a tight knit community. Every night our floor plays games, watches TV or studies with each other. Living in Carson on floor two helps me to not be homesick, which makes college an overall better experience.

College is exactly what I expected it to be. I always heard from my parents and cousins how college is the best years of your life, but I never really believed them until now. College has just begun and I am already so in love with the University of Oregon. I always imaged college to be the place where fun and school coincide with each other, and that belief has been proven so far. I have attended every class and enjoyed my time doing so, which makes me excited for the next four years here at the university.

I am currently a member of the Hawaii club and joining the sports business club. Hawaii club is a great chance to hang out with friends from home and keep my culture alive. Being a part of the Hawaii club also allows me to share my culture with students at the University who are not Hawaiian. One day I want to be a sports lawyer, which is why joining the sports business club is important for my future career. Yes, business and law are two completely different things but the club will open my eyes to the professional world of sports and build up my knowledge in that field. A third extracurricular activity I have joined is intramural flag football where I will be on a team with the rest of floor two from Carson hall. My whole life I was a cheerleader on the sidelines watching football so I am extremely excited to be a member on the field playing the game.

Life a week or two ago versus today is different in the sense that I am not stressed about moving and getting settled in to college life. Two weeks ago I was scared and nervous for college but today I am ready for the school year and look forward to life here at the University. I am not worried about making friends or attending classes because I have already done so. Week one is officially done and I have nothing but happiness and excitement inside. The University of Oregon is my new home and I take pride in saying that.