The Future of Cinema

CLASS OF 2014

Story by: Hannah Osborn

commencement_RGB_1cropped

Faculty and graduates of the class of 2014
Photo by: Joshua Rainey

Fifty-three students crossed the stage as the cheers of families and friends filled the room to mark their graduation from the Cinema Studies Program. Nearly 500 guests celebrated the outstanding achievements of the Cinema Studies Class of 2014.

At the commencement ceremony, Cinema Studies Director Dr. Michael Aronson spoke about the value of hard work and encouraged graduates to be persistent and follow their dreams. “I hope you’ll make mistakes. If you’re making mistakes, it means you’re out there doing something. And the mistakes themselves can be transformative,” Aronson said.

For me, it was more than just a major. It was a close group of peers and faculty that I could rely on for feedback, collaboration and support.”

– Maura Turner

Maura Turner says she and her fellow graduates were buzzing with nervous excitement before entering the Ballroom. “There was a feeling of accomplishment and love in the room. These were friends that I had spent the last couple years getting to know, working with, laughing with, and creating with.”

The newest graduates of the program join the 200 Cinema Studies alumni who have graduated from the program since the spring of 2010, many hoping to pursue a dream of telling stories through film and media.

“For me, it was more than just a major,” said Turner. “It was a close group of peers and faculty that I could rely on for feedback, collaboration, and support.”

Merchant Ivory Scholarships